Switch! (Part 1)

I hope so. 3D Land spoke directly to my soul, and I’d love to play more of that type of game. The multiplayer makes sense for the joy-con too.

Call me crazy, but I think New Funky Mode took a ton of direct inspiration from NiGHTS Into Dreams… NiGHTS was an early example of a boutique 2.5D game, and Tropical Freeze is perhaps the most polished triple-A example of the style.

Tropical Freeze features copious on-rails sections, including mine-cart levels and rocket levels. These levels frequently play with perspective, moving the camera from the side into weird isometric angles. It reminds me a lot of the way certain NiGHTS stages (e.g. Soft Museum) show you weird quasi-3D camera angles while still restricting your controls to a 2D plane.

Also, the pufferfish boss in Tropical Freeze is clearly inspired by the Puffy boss fight from NiGHTS.

I was happy to see this because I love NiGHTS, and it really feels like it was one of those little game design dead ends that nobody ever properly followed up on.

2 Likes

I think more than taking inspiration it’s convergent evolution; it’s what happens naturally when you have spare budget for 3D animators and you’re making a platformer.

Compared to Nintendo who’s been doing this for a while and knows exactly what they don’t need to spend resources on, Retro has a team used to making full 3D games and naturally let the artists run wild in a way that wouldn’t impact design overmuch.

I’d analogize it to Batman/Assassin’s style melee combat, which developed mostly as a way to utilize art resources to increase spectacle regardless of player skill, rather than gating flashy outcomes behind skilled play.

5 Likes

The Wonderswan dream isn’t dead

It’s already fully backed and they’re starting up the production so seems like a pretty risk-free deal? Biggest drawback seems to be that you can’t charge it while using it and the “one or two titles that only support 90-degree rotation in the opposite direction of Flip Grip’s orientation”. Otherwise really appreciate this list of games that do support the TATE:

(Click the image to see the full list. There really are more then four games! Discord really should make it much clearer if an image is significantly cropped)

2 Likes

Kind of useless if it doesn’t keep the picture straight by detecting how much you’re tilting it like some phone driving games and (I think?) the SEGA 3D Classics do.

I think the idea is that you are tilting your body when you turn as well, so the screen and yourself are more or less at the same level of tilt.

I just tried it out and it seems to work fine enough, although I managed to break the base off the handlebars. Still came first though

But have they added a “I’m using Labo controls!” chat message?

I sure hope so!
I am not game enough to use them online though.

Honestly though, the Labo motorbike is the worst of the Toycons, it feels like the rubber band is going to snap at any moment and it is super uncomfortable to use.

they should totally add a Labo fishing minigame to Zelda though

Toy-con piano accompanist to accordian bird minigame.

1 Like

These things somehow cross the line from being cute to just being real creepy gremlins.

I think it stems from that this is the first thing I read about them:

In addition to basic communication, players can also teach the cats words, which they will then use in conversation.

Where did these creatures even come from?

More documented sightings:

In contrast: Look! They stand on your arm!!! An Eevee weighs 6,5 kg/14 lbs though?

This was giving me a strong “teddy together” vibe, and sure enough, there he is in the second video. By God did he have the creepiest voice ever

Let’s Get Buff, Eevee!

1 Like

hey i’ve been trying to suss this out but to no avail, have they revised the hardware yet?

as far as anyone knows, the new revision that’s known about isn’t out in the wild yet

funnily enough, days after posting this, people are finding the revised Switch in the wild, which will lack the ability to be put in maintenance mode but apparently ships with low enough of a firmware that it’s still vulnerable to some software exploits

in another development, Fortnite got gyro aim today and is now Playable

2 Likes

that’s hilarious. i bought an old one anyway though now i have i’m wondering why it was so important to me

Galak-Z mobile edition is a free game on switch now I guess

1 Like

Is that something to get excited about?