Switch! (Part 1)

I’ve played a bit, yeah

1 Like

They really dropped the ball in not keeping the Japanese title

5 Likes

Whoa

Been playing more New Funky Mode. I got to a secret beehive level and I got totally excited until I saw that these:

Zinger-DKC2

had been replaced with these:

bee

That is such an unconscionably poor character design decision that it’s making me rethink my whole stance on this game. DKC is all about disturbingly detailed and articulated wasps, not these fuzzy dreamworks rejects! I’m going to write somebody a letter.

15 Likes

i hope someone posts all these somewhere so i can compare them to the japanese ones, i bet they’re extremely different

I’m still amazed by the fact that the 8-ball stages have squid lo-fi hip hop - beats to rage at the 8-ball not going where I want it to

1 Like

upgrading my opinion of Octo Expansion from “this is really good” to “if you remotely enjoy Splatoon as a concept, why the hell haven’t you already bought and played through this”

the whole last chunk where the game turns into a sneaking mission for a stage and the script starts getting goofy and fun and then there’s a cool boss fight and then you fight the cover of Floral Shoppe and there’s sick tracks everywhere and holy shit

male octoling can have a fro

finally, my laziness in getting a hair cut is properly represented in a game

4 Likes

yeah i think i’m gonna get back into this soon

man wow i love splatoon 2

I love this dlc (read: delic)

1 Like

i’ve logged hours and hours of Splat 2 multiplayer but have not touched the regular single player mode at all, could i just jump into the Octo Expansion?

yeah, it’s just an option in Inkopolis/on the quick menu

I would say to play the single player first if you plan to ever because Octo Expansion is undoubtedly better

HI

I’M JUST GOING TO POST MUSIC FROM OCTO EXPANSION TO CONVINCE YOU TO PLOP DOWN 20 BUCKS TO GET IT ALREADY

(this is the song from that first trailer)
5 Likes

Ugh this looks so cool, and the music is great, but Splatoon 2’s single player was a chore to play. In what way is this DLC better?

if Hero Mode is the overworld in Breath of the Wild, Octo Expansion is all of the shrines followed by climbing up to Ganon

it’s the SMB2J of Splatoon, taking the physics and armory and seeing what kind of stupid bullshit they can do with levels

it’s easily better than Hero Mode and actually probably more substantial in terms of length too, even with no individual stage outlasting it’s welcome (the longest ones are maybe 5 minutes and many are a minute or two long). you don’t even have to do all 80 to finish the story of it.

also the post-game thing is a fun, bullshit thing

1 Like

https://youtu.be/75g1hVeswuc

I wonder if they go full-ruthless on this and ban all offending duplicate cart certs no matter what, suck up the bad publicity from innocent ebay parents, as a means of killing the used games market. I mean I guess any company could have done that at any point, just autoban anyone that uses any used game but seems like Nintendo has some plausible cover here at least.

the real takeaway from this is that original revision Switches are going to be worth a mint one day

1 Like

do i need to have finished story mode of splatoon to play the expansion levels?

my other NNID says no, you can just jump right into Octo Expansion

I’m glad Nintendo put out a demo for Captain Toad today. I’d thought it would be my kind of game, but I was let down by the demo. The plodding pace and lack of jumping stifles the joy I felt navigating similar settings in other recent Mario games—to a far greater extent than I anticipated. This one feels like it’d be a chore to play through.

Yeah, Captain Toad works best in its original context: as an occasional palate cleanser in between the main courses of jump-filled, camera-locked platforming in Mario 3D World. I expect 3D World will get a Switch remaster as well, sooner or later.