Switch! (Part 1)

Mario power tennis sucks, the power shots are usually instant wins, and regular shots are too easy to return so it ends up just being “see who gets the power shot first or makes an egregious mistake.” Mario tennis VB was better and that game is vaguely awful. 64 is still where it’s at.

I’m interested in trying the new one though. The idea of a power bar seems much more tenable when you can expend it in multiple ways

power tennis with the power shots off looks and feels great but it was still this irrelevantly expensive thing dropped out toward the end of the gamecube’s life that didn’t add much to a late N64 release that didn’t add much to virtua tennis

EXCEPT ITS THE ORIGIN OF WLAUIGI DNT @ ME WALUIGI FKCJIMN RULES

13 Likes

why am i like this

4 Likes

Oh. How did I not ever learn this existed??

I played a couple hours of new Mario Tennis last night, I got wrecked a bunch. I think I like all the silly shit there is going on, there is a lot. I think it is good but I don’t think I’ll pay $60 for it.

Still feels mushy compared to Virtua Tennis.

1 Like

I’m going to go on vacation in a couple weeks and I was planning to bring my switch. Any recommendations for chill games to play after a hard day’s rockin? Bonus if they have 2p local multi that isn’t terrible on joycons

I don’t think a game can stop this

2 Likes

I mean I’m not haulin’ my (knockoff) pro controllers along with me, so it’s joycons or bust

Any number of SNK fighters. Toups will say elliot’s quest.

why don’t you give Hamster 8 bucks for Neo Turf Masters

4 Likes

That Tumbleseed versus multiplayer is kinda fun. [Requires 4 joy-con or equivalent inputs.]

Tumblestone is good! So good that it’s already coming with me

Tumblestone is good and Tumbleseed sadly ain’t.

1 Like

I keep hearing lots of good things about that recent wizard game. That’s got local multi

Power shots are definitely not an instant win this time. It still might come down to whoever can build meter the fastest, but you do that by playing well so that should be alright.

One kind of messed up tactic I started using once someone beat me with it is to start a serve with R. That triggers the bullet time Zone Shot thing which damages rackets if not returned properly. People are so scared of it that they burn all their meter on slow motion to make sure they return properly, and then they have nothing left to use in the rally.

1 Like

Super Chariot requires more buttons, but anyone with at least one friend should play it.

this right here is a cruel joke (you get a nice, loud BZZT trying to do anything else other than fightman tennis)

Mario Tennis is a true fighting game because it’s absolutely unplayable over wifi

Maybe it’s also unplayable if you’re using ethernet too I dunno. I bitch about wifi but I can’t hook my Switch up to a TV so

Is anybody playing Hyrule Warriors? That’s my new favorite game. It’s a fine blend of fan service and Dynasty Warriors action. Adventure mode is serious fun.

1 Like