Switch! (Part 1)

Ikki because you love yourself making very poor entertainment decisions.

Like Ikki is just a collective Japanese gamemen injoke right? That it is just a real bad game?

Welp, I figured I would order Hyrule Warriors on Amazon AU since there was a special coupon deal for $20 off, but I needed to spend over $79 for it to apply so I thought “Why don’t I get one of those Labo things”

It arrived in the mail today, I found it hidden behind the garbage bin.

So far I have just made the RC Car
dog wasn’t scared of it, 0/10

1 Like

Things that have happened in New Funky Mode so far:

• The music really picked up in world 3, including some legit watching-the-sunset-over-Ibiza-while-your-airplane-lands jams.

• Multiple levels in world 4 used almost the exact same aesthetic as the Dreamcast Ecco the Dolphin game, and used more than one remix of the great water music from the original Donkey Kong Country.

• Right before going to bed I played an African savannah themed level so exuberant that it caused me to have pleasant dreams.

• An otherwise unassuming level turned out to have three exits, including two secret levels, for no reason.

• I died 20 times while fighting an incredibly long and technically demanding boss owl, but the fight was very fair and satisfying. Two stages later I had 99 extra lives again.

• A minecart level in an aquatic temple used weird 2.5D camera angles in a way I haven’t seen since NiGHTS Into Dreams, and it made me feel like I was on a confusing roller coaster effectively enough that I sort of felt it in my gut for a second.

• Dixie has proven to be by far the most powerful sidekick of them all, in every situation. Which is lucky for me, because I was gonna always pick her for everything anyways.

• I intentionally let Donkey Kong slowly drown as a tiny stepping stone in my callous pursuit of the last letter I needed to spell KONG.

5 Likes

i ordered the street fighter collection for switch on a whim and now i am having anxiety about it

5 Likes

Was this the first level in world 3? That was incredible, I just finished it.

1 Like

That’s the one! I don’t know if I’ve ever played a platformer level quite like that.

1 Like

Can either of you elaborate on what makes 3-1 so unusual? I just watched a video of someone playing through the stage, and I didn’t think it was notably special.

I just found it a very nice marriage of visuals and musical sweep, especially with the music building over the course of the level and level elements getting more and more joyous.

1 Like

It reminds me a bit of the “I just want to be King” level from the Lion King game for some reason.

I initially wasn’t interested in getting it, but after all the talk about it being one of the best platformers ever, I caved in. I just finished it a couple days ago, and it is definitely at least the best DK since the original arcade game.

2 Likes

My Funky Mode / Oh We Oh We Oh

2 Likes

Something about the constant motion of the stage itself along with the rising and changing music was breathtaking to me. It was all a bit disorienting, but in a positive way. Honestly, it plays just like any other stage but visually and aurally it’s very entrancing. The music was also the first to feature vocals of any kind, which shocked me a little as well.

1 Like

Ah ok, I’m not able to watch it with sound right now. I’ll try to remember to later.

The music is a huge part of what makes that stage work, yeah.

new Pokemon on Switch appears to be some kind of Gen1 remake/reboot/Pokemon Go thing that uses just one Joycon

also 2 player co-op

also a Pokeball joycon

EDIT - apparently an “all new core” Pokemon game is coming in 2019

1 Like

Ahh so this is a stopgap Pokémon Go cash grab that I’ll end up owning

I want to know the people who would pick Pikachu over Eevee

I want their names

I want to shame them

4 Likes

In other news, Ikaruga just came out for the Switch. I’ve actually never played it. Worth buying for $15 in 2018?? I remember mad Insert Credit hype about it when I was in high school.

Hell yeah.

http://www.ikaruga.co.uk/downloads/video_drian.php

2 Likes

That Ikaruga rap is really something.

From what I’ve been able to discern on Twitter, Ikaruga is a Very Good shmup, but the company who ported it has had issues with introducing input lag in their past ports, so be wary I guess?

I feel like Ikaruga gets namedropped in the press more than it ought to be, but I wouldn’t call it “overrated” because those namedrops are rarely accompanied by discussion of the game itself. It’s like Ikaruga was the last shmup to register on the mainstream gamer’s radar, and now whenever shmups come up, Ikaruga is the only frame of reference they can think of. I think that gives it more notoriety than it deserves, but if you look at actual opinions of the game, the consensus seems to be that it is Very Good but not as good as you would think given how often it comes up randomly.

2 Likes