Switch! (Part 1)

If I was some sort of Nintendo executive I’d probably at least make sure that the consoles that want to share the family account have to sync up locally something like at least once a week.

Welcome to post-Iwata Nintendo

i have the worst urge to play a platformer roguelite thingo

its been yonks since i dipped into the genre

does anyone have any recommendations?

I thought Dead Cells was remarkably good. I dunno if it’s out of early access or whatever yet.

Yeah Dead Cells is a first-rate maximalist roguelite. The best minimalist one is Downwell. Flinthook is also worth a play if you’re hungering for the genre – although it’s not quite as good as the other two IMO, it’s already out for Switch.

In older games you’re likely to have played before, there’s Spelunky HD naturally, and Super Crate Box is arguably a roguelite too (and maybe still Vlambeer’s best game? The pacing and balance is impeccable)

Dead Cells is supposed to come out for Switch later this year.

Rogue Legacy also exists

Dunno why you’d want to play that tho, unless you just need more.

6 Likes

paging @Persona

build your own GameCube keyboard construction kit

4 Likes

rip @Persona

I want all my peripherals to say CYBER·USB

1 Like

For all the games that aren’t making it to Switch very quickly, this looks promising:

(I had already jury-rigged the Nvidia streaming service with the Moonlight app on my iPad for the same purpose and managed to beat Titanfall 2 with that setup, but it had some problems with the audio cutting out after ~1 hour and needing to be restarted, Nvidia updates breaking the gamepad, and it being tricky to connect the game in the first place, so I didn’t bother with it again after that. This seems like it might iron out the kinks better.)

I’m just waiting for an MFi controller worth buying

I bought myself one of these last Christmas. It’s pretty solid but doesn’t vibrate or anything like that. Also the sticks are just sticks, no clicky buttons in them either.

If it’s Wii U style LAN streaming, then instead of using MFi you can use any other controller connected to the PC directly. Although that’s the part NVidia updates breaks because it really assumes you want the client-device-attached gamepad instead and you need to hack a file to make that work.

should clarify, I want a controller that actually physically supports my phone, so really I’m waiting to just crack and buy a GameVice.

I picked up a copy of New Funky Mode yesterday. I’m on world 2, which is a photorealistic representation of Switzerland. Despite the game’s ice theme, none of these levels have had any ice in them whatsoever, for which I am thankful.

This… might be the best Donkey Kong Country game! So far it lacks the prickly weirdness of the SNES games (especially DKC2, with its giant hornet nests and bramble hell), and its music is not as ambient-IDM as those old games, but it makes up for it with tons of over-the-top cartoon action sequences, secrets and hidden paths everywhere, and levels that are so packed with detail you could play them 4 times and hardly see everything.

And its music is still pretty good, just in that Super Mario 3D World big-band way. Also you can carry Cranky Kong on your back and it gives you the pogo stick move from Ducktales for NES.

Plus, revolutionary anarcha-feminist icon Dixie Kong plays a big role in it, so you gotta love that.

9 Likes

I have 1,620 yen on my Japanese eShop account.

What should I spend it on?

buy the yuri visual novel while it’s still 50% off