Switch! (Part 1)

That’s what I was saying nine posts up, yeah. It;s inevitable.

Also Towerfall, which is the only local multiplayer we need really.

1 Like

Here is a list of games I’ve recently played with other people: ibb & obb, Shovel Knight, Overcooked, Rayman Legends, Never Alone, TowerFall, Tricky Towers, Dr. Luigi, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Fortune Street, Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Mario 3D World. I’ve also got VIDEOBALL plus some indie shooters and beat 'em ups on my Steam wishlist.

So I want to believe, even if I shouldn’t.

Man, I bought ibb & obb and either beat all or most of it before I found out that it wasn’t a single player game. Turns out it can be… just a very hard one.

Sure. Who needs friends when you have good hand-eye coordination?

1 Like

If Nintendo can get as friendly with the indies as Sony has been that would certainly be a start. Of course it would also mean having to play all those mainly 2d games with an analogue stick.

That’s almost as creepy as when Nintendo mailed me a hand.

1 Like

Yep it has a touchscreen: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-nintendo-switch-has-a-6-2-multi-touch-screen

2 Likes

[quote=“Broco, post:31, topic:3070, full:true”]
Personally I’ve been increasingly obsessed with ergonomics and portability in my gaming so this is right up my alley[/quote]

I put my money where my mouth is on this. I just cobbled together my own Wii U and played through Titanfall 2 on it:

That’s an iPad connected via wifi to my PC via Nvidia game streaming (using the Moonlight app). The Wii U Pro controller is connected directly to the PC via this adapter. The weird stand lets me lie down on my back with the screen perched directly in front of my face, while I hold the controller behind. This all works on the couch one room away from my PC and the latency feels no worse than the Wii U’s (sub-100ms if not better). Homer Simpson would be proud.

11 Likes

Tech jargon from Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-switch-spec-analysis.

Nintendo’s continuing the weird dual spec trend of the (New) 3DS, PS4 (Pro), and Xbox One (Scorpio).

I’d love to this this sort of thing front paged if that were still a thing.

https://twitter.com/pillowfort/status/812030450894012416

3 Likes
1 Like

Switch presentation summary:

3 Likes
2 Likes

I went to the Tokyo Big Sight demo event today and left more concerned about this than I was going in:

• Splatoon 2 looks like shit. Digital Foundry will have a field day with this thing if it ships like that. I don’t know what resolution it’s rendering at but the pixels are big and chunky, and it’s an embarrassment that the most popular title at the event looked this bad.
  • I also noticed frame rate issues with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when in 4P split screen, but someone on Twitter told me this was also the case on the Wii U. I’ve only ever played MK8 on Wii U in single player so I can’t really compare, but it stood out to me.
  • All games on the show floor are games that are playable on a single detached JouCon. My concern is that this is a requirement for all Switch games, and that anything with a traditional twin stick control scheme is SOL. I’m expecting way more JRPGs on this thing than shooters.
  • I played Super Bomberman R in tabletop mode and the display is simply too small at a reasonable distance to comfortably play on. The surface you put it on probably isn’t at a high enough eye level for you to look straight ahead at it, so you’ll have to look down or hunch over it, and that’s not comfortable either. I imagine it’s even worse if you’re playing something in split screen.
  • With 2.5 hours of battery life, this is barely viable as a handheld system. I don’t care if you’re Apple or Nintendo or whoever, supporting USB-C charging does not mean you are free to skimp on battery life.
2 Likes

uhh

I’ve heard it doesn’t actually support quick charge over USB-C and people are saying it takes 3 hours to charge per a hardware page on Nintendo’s Japanese site

edit: okay, well, listen to this person

I bought a $400 laptop that seems like a better game playing machine than the Switch.

Oh, I guess Tabletop Switch Multiplayer is going to be a huge problem after all.

it still works as an actual handheld though, yeah, just not as something you prop up on a table a foot away from you? That’s not a disaster by itself imo