Switch! (Part 1)

Original Kirby on the secret hard mode is definitely pretty good.

2 Likes

I hope nintendo ports everything to the switch. Then Nintendo just stops.

25 bucks for a left joy-con with a proper D-pad but no rumble, motion controls, SL/SR buttons on the inside, not even any wireless functionality. Pretty much solely for single player handheld mode.

It’s interesting at least that third party alternative joy-cons like this can be produced at all at a decent price.

Bayonetta 3 is back on track!

I finally remembered to take the picture @Rudie asked for of how I made my Switch controller more comfortable to hold by adding grip tape.

The tape is from ikea, it was like $3 a roll or something. In addition to making steps not slippery and Switch controllers easier to hold, it’s also great for marking something you touch without seeing like which switch in a bank of many turns on the room lights.

3 Likes

So if you want a second charger that charges both the Switch and other devices at >5W, this charger nerd has a specific recommendation (still 50$ natch) buried within his giant list of technical gripes:

We now live in a dystopia where “charger nerd” is a type of person that has to exist. But only on Google+

10 Likes

To be fair at this point I’m probably in 95th percentile of charger knowledge myself, so it would be fair to label me a nerd as well. But compared to that guy it’s like I’m in charger Platinum league while he is Grandmaster

My order of these knockoff pro controllers arrived the other day. I haven’t tried the motion sensing functionality yet, but other than that these seem to work just fine. The sticks and triggers feel good, the buttons are pretty snappy. My only hardware gripe is that the charging ports are really recessed and most of my USB cables don’t fit in there (the ones they came with fit though).

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I read today that Firewatch is coming out on Switch. I’ve been curious about this game, but should I care?

it’s pretty good! It has the right amount of open-endedness for a walking sim to be interesting & the writing and acting is definitely some of the best of recent years

ooooo i disagree strongly (except maybe re: the right amount of open-endedness)

1 Like

Thanks both. I care about open-endedness and walking, if nothing else.

I liked Firewatch enough to finish it but not enough to replay it to see if there was an alternate ending or anything I missed.

Overall I thought it was a good use of $20 and however many hours it took me to play it (I want to say it was like around 8-10, maybe? But it can be completed in much less time than that).

1 Like

Game is also pretty as heck imho, and made me wistful

1 Like

8-10 (or less) hours of playtime and wistfulness also sound good.

Whatever you end up thinking about it’s story it definitely avoids the problem of overstaying it’s welcome.

1 Like

Gone Home is still the best walking sim by a mile but Firewatch is probably in second place? Maybe?

I’ve only played a few but those are the two best of the ones I’ve played. I think the other one was Dear Esther? I didn’t finish it.

I hear Soma is good, or is that not a walking sim?

And it was made in part by ex-SBer Ben Burbank.

2 Likes

Dear Esther is lame.

Oh yeah Soma actually rules and I would call it a walking sim I think basically, though it has some stealth mechanics on occasion. It’s like, halfway between a walking sim and Amnesia.

2 Likes