Switch! (Part 1)

Cq_O5TGWEAASo87

The SNES port came very late. It’s not suited for vector art at all. The Genesis might’ve worked better with its faster CPU

@idiot

OK so yeah, a generation off

@Broco

the genesis CPU wasn’t actually that much faster in practice, 68Ks were pretty crappy per-cycle compared to 6502 derivatives, it was mostly just the faster bus

never gonna pass up an opportunity to post x68k pics

4 Likes

The few Kirby games I have played always felt to me like I was playing some alpha build with the dev cheats on

3 Likes

the only good kirby game is the first one, which is super super good

1 Like

super star definitely sort of rules

i’ve always been curious about air ride??

I really liked Air Ride, particularly that its structure for advancing was like that thing in SSBB where you have to check boxes by doing things which would unlock stuff, but you don’t know what the things are until you check adjacent boxes. Of course Air Ride was first and informed the SSBB design, but that was its entire structure. It was really clever too.

For instance, you would unlock Meta Knight by doing some challenge, which would unlock adjacent challenges involving Meta Knight. But you could also come across those challenges from other directions and then you’re like “oh shit meta knight is in this game.”

It was real smart, and for most of the game you could progress just by having a good ol time with different rides and characters. And you didn’t have to win every race, just meet these goals.

The racing was very nice as well, other people hated how simplified it was but I thought it was real groovy. Gliding in most of the vehicles felt very nice, collisions were crunchy without totally sapping you of momentum, abilities mostly ruled, all in all a real winner.

…except that was just one third of the game. The tiny top down racer was fun with other people but really a drag without. I had a good time with it but I also had a lot of time.

Same for the City mode, which was similar to the mode in Smash 4 on the 3DS where you go through a maze powering up and then compete in a random event. It had the same problem: 5 minutes of buildup for 30 seconds of actually playing. It absolutely should have had 3-5 different events afterwards, as it stands it was totally frustrating.

the city mode had cool random events though, which I loved. Like, sometimes Dyna Blade would show up and, uh, drop stuff or something? I honestly don’t remember. But yeah, other stuff, the weather would be different etc. It was also huge, at least in my memory, and filled with all sorts of weird secrets. Since you could only explore it for 5 minutes at a time, that probably made it seem bigger.

The biggest problem with the city mode at the end of the day was that advancing through the checkboxes relied a lot on luck, and you could end up wasting 5 minutes just to get to the end and not be playing the minigame you need to complete the challenge. That was deeply frustrating.

Luckily all of these three modes were totally separate, so you could just ignore the two that kinda sucked.

I played a lot of air ride, obv.

8 Likes

oh my god

if i can get this to run we should set up a kirby air ride night. we can use parsec so no netplay garbage. oh shit

2 Likes

The Kirby wisdom ITT is so real

2 Likes

I can’t believe no one’s done a hack of Superstar (or one of the other major titles) to make it an actually challenging platform game

Gourmet Race 2018

1 Like

You know I think Kirby’s Dream Course is one instance where I could really get down with some procedural generation. Just infinite courses forever.

1 Like

wait i almost forgot about Kirby’s Dream Course, that’s the best one

all the best Kirby games are games that are not Kirby platformers

5 Likes

dream course is definitely my personal favourite, they could get a lot more mileage out of it if they wanted

there was a dream course hack for the game grumps that, like, tripled the amount of courses or something. cool stuff

1 Like

you know what i’d mess with? a Kirby Maker game where you could make your own levels with all the past Kirby powers to use to make things as difficult as you’d like. the franchise has always been a placeholder for Nintendo’s simple platform gimmicks, and i’d imagine it’d be fairly intuitive if you used Mario Maker’s touch screen interface. they could even work in a cute nod to the development kit of the original Dream Land.

2 Likes

I actually think wandering around in city mode was way better than doing the races. Every race was a rush to get through it so we could get back to exploring the city. I only ever played in multiplayer

3 Likes

I actually even enjoyed that on my lonesome, but I have a hard time separating it from pure nostalgia as well. Like, design-wise it seems very silly.

But it really was cool.

Original Kirby is probably the best balanced and paced, but I still prefer Super Star for the variety and creativity involved in the game. It is simultaneously a difficult and very easy game, but also one which constructs mini-game-like worlds, such that I’ve never really felt bored playing it, since the worlds themselves are very consumable in bite-sized chunks.

Dream Course is definitely the best Kirby game though.

4 Likes