Switch! (Part 1)

after reading this review i kind of agree with you here. I don’t even know if I want to bother in co-op.

I played the first level of the demo with my wife and it seemed really unremarkable. We’ll try the second level later but I think I might skip this one!!!

1 Like

Yeah, I was unimpressed with the Kirby demo too. Having 4 players on-screen constantly is way too chaotic. And when it’s a bunch of AIs, why should I even care that they’re there? 2 players really ought to be the limit on this thing.

2 Likes

has anyone played the octopath traveler demo

does anyone have opinions on it

can you still download it, or was it jp store only? i tried a cursory search for it but didn’t find anything.

should i get owlboy? looks lush

I played about 45 minutes of Owlboy and I wasn’t impressed. Basically, if you want a kind of janky approximation of a first-party Game Boy Advance game then it’s the game for you.

The Octopath Traveler demo was gorgeous, but JRPGs aren’t really my thing so I only played a little bit of it. I tried out the sex worker’s storyline just to see how badly they would botch it. It was depressing, but I didn’t play enough of it to see it get particularly offensive.

Real good. Also, generous length for a demo.

Wow who new Lumines would be such a compelling idea on the Switch. I can’t wait for them to announce a hardware revision so I can buy one of these already

Axiom Verge, Hollow Knight and Owlboy are all similar in that they are games that i kind of want to play but feel like i’ll drop off of them almost immediately because they don’t seem like a big enough hook besides “Contemporary Retro Game”

i guess Celeste was in that same camp too, but i really enjoyed that one so

2 Likes

Kirby is one of those series that i really have fondness for and interest in most releases despite mostly feeling left wanting when actually playing it. it’s just so cute to experience, but kind of bland and not super interesting to play most of the time. this is how i felt about the latest demo.

i wish they would just port Epic Yarn and the robot mech 3DS one to Switch, but i think my favorite Kirby is the pinball one for Game Boy, so nobody take my word for it

Hollow Knight got the same kind of universal praise as Celeste so that one is probably worth it too. I think the hook for that one is that it’s an unusually huge world. But I’ve been in your same camp of being like “ehhh…”

Celeste artwork and music has hella crunch and that’s the big difference for me. Momodora: RutM is definitely worth playing for the same reason

1 Like

Ronk this is exactly how I have felt about pretty much every Kirby game in the last 10 years, or however long ago Canvas Curse came out. On paper Kirby is my favorite Nintendo character.

2 Likes

Kirby, as a platformer, has always been about powering through every nominal challenge with his ridiculously versatile moveset and large health bar. I feel it works best in the original GB game where it’s brief enough not to wear out its welcome, and also the hitbox to screen size ratio makes dodging just tricky enough. With the later, longer entries it starts to feel like, “okay, three hours in, I’m still easily destroying everything and starting to get bored”.

8 Likes

Huh, interesting. It makes me want to theorize that he made Kirby control with so few limitations out of a reaction to the painfully limited experience of programming the game

I just love that he thought that was how it was supposed to work

(and that pull quote is fantastic)

someone later gently explains to him that his devkit is not actually a devkit

I’m assuming that an MSX was actually an OK general dev machine the way an Amiga or a Next cube were in the US/Europe though??

Nah, seems like MSX was a cheap, consumer-oriented 80s 8-bit computer series, more comparable to Tandy or PcJR I think (just more popular). I’m not too familiar with it except for playing MSX Metal Gear in an emulator once though.

I’d still rather do development on a BBC Micro or a C64 or a Spectrum than an NES, though; I might’ve just been a generation off in my analogy

The kirby series from 1993-2000 is just a brand of lifestyle products for people who like playing graphically impressive video games on aging hardware

12 Likes

In those early days with barely any resources to spare, game technical quality was practically the inverse of the sophistication of the development tools. Compare with Sierra adventure games which were all built on middleware that caused janky forced animations everywhere and whose main purpose was churning out a large volume of games.

Another World might be the exception (although even there, its SNES port is the only cartridge title I know of that has loading time).

its SNES port is also the only game I know of on the SNES that was ported directly from a compatible architecture (the Apple IIGS)!

Or is it vice versa? The IIGS obviously wouldn’t have had directly accessible Rom… the only thing I can see it having to “load” would be like… cached vector calculations for the animations?

1 Like