Switch! (Part 1)

I too hate fun

10 Likes

I love 30fps

8 Likes

Knowing the difference between 30 and 60fps seems like a curse I am glad I don’t have.

8 Likes

I know the difference but I just don’t care. As long as the frame rate is consistent, that’s what really matters. Solid 60fps is just a bonus, not a dealbreaker.

3 Likes

it’s incredibly jarring because the title screen and all the UI and interstitial stuff is very obviously 60 fps and then the game part is very much not

not that Kirby is a fast-paced thing where my reactions are a matter of life or death. I’ve just been spoiled by my choices in titles on the system; everything I have bar Zelda (god, and I guess Bomberman, no Konami, half the game don’t count) is a smooth 60 fps; hell, even Zelda is pretty consistent in performance

Bootleg Switch Controllers For Cheap

i’m not buying these (wife just got me a real pro controller) but y’know, switch controllers are kinda expensive

edit: that’s $33 for two, $19 for one

edit 2: i have bought stuff from Wish before, it’s slow delivery but has always arrived. got a bluetooth FM adapter for my car, works fine

You think Nintendo would ever themselves consider selling a Lite version of the Pro that strips out all the stuff most people will never use (NFC, gyro, HD rumble) to bring it down to a similar price point?

Definitely not. The Nintendo way is to Never Compromise Even If It Makes Your Stuff Cheaper Because That Waters Down The Brand, Somehow, Even If Nobody Is Using Your Features

that is my hot take of the day

2 Likes

well the thing is that their stuff is often still pretty cheap from a hardware engineering point of view, they’ve always had those apple margins and now that manufacturing costs have gone up across the board it’s only moreso

1 Like

I think Nintendo would justly be concerned about user confusion when it comes to removing something like NFC or gyro. Somebody might easily buy the one game that requires it and get unhappy. It would also discourage developers from using them.

Also, the way SoCs work is that you have single chips containing all of these features, so after the first one it’s remakably cheap to add in the rest of the features (pennies maybe). That’s why 100$ phones can have a zillion sensors. Controllers need Bluetooth at a minimum, and that’s the hook into the bundle I suspect.

The 2DS already exists though, so they’ve shown a willingness to do it for hardware features that are truly expensive.

1 Like

I bought a set, they seem like good P3/P4 controllers should I ever end up a 4p Switch game

A tip: the joy-con grip thing is much, much more comfortable to hold with some grip tape stuck on the handles about where the middle of your fingers rest. Before I did that I found it so slippery that it was hard to hold on to, now it’s pretty comfortable.

I need a picture of what you are describing.

What I’d really like to see to save money is for the different console vendors to come together and standardize a single protocol. These Pro controllers are all the same and have been for years. Make them backwards compatible and cross-compatible, for Pete’s sake, instead of being a bunch of corporate Scrooges grubbing more profits and market share off redundant controllers.

We finally killed off redudant proprietary charger hell. Now for the controller version of the same problem.

1 Like

Mayflash adapters are great for that in the meantime.

1 Like

yeah controllers are one of the few places that PC still has a significant price advantage this generation for that reason, I’d love to see that go

plus it’s fun to do multi with (at my last count) one PS4 controller, one xbone controller, one steam controller, one saturn 2D controller, one saturn 3D controller, one 360 controller, one dual shock 1, and one gamecube controller

5 Likes

We’re talking about a controller that would have both an analog stick and a d-pad in two different locations at once (the analog sticks having both octagonal and circular wells simultaneously), clickable touch pads INSTEAD of analog sticks and/or d-pads, a seperate central touchpad, a speaker, a headset jack, pressure sensitive face buttons, digital-only short-travel face buttons, analog shoulder buttons that also have digital button-clicks at the end of their travel but also ones that don’t, motion control, a built-in touchscreen, an infrared camera, bluetooth, wi-fi, NFC, and both micro USB 2.0 B and Micro USB 3.0 C. Plus whatever new thing any one company wants to add to a controller in the future.

1 Like

Important controller feature you can’t forget - VMU memory card slot

5 Likes

Like, I get what you’re saying, but if you listed all the features on a 100$ phone it would seem even more overwhelming and absolutely miraculous that it’s so cheap and interoperable. A controller is similar to a phone with less connectivity and computation and more physical buttons and sticks, so that context tells me this is actually tractable.

It would never stick, is what I’m saying. Each company has very clear ideas for what they want their controller to be that are incompatible with the other companies’ visions, to the point where as soon as a “standard” got nailed down, each company would immediately ignore it.

Especially Nintendo, who have been trying to buck “standard” controller formats since the turn of the millennium, a train whose steam has clearly not even peaked yet, let alone declined.

Yeah, it’s a question of will to solve the problem and make it stick. Currently, as you’re pointing out, there is actually a will to make the problem worse instead. I think a lot of those features are basically pretexts to keep gouging the consumer with new controllers more than anything else.

Yes, but Nintendo also supports the Pro Controller! And they decided to make their own instead of just supporting one of their competitors’, even though it’s specifically designed for players that like their competitors’ controllers and want something that’s almost the same.

1 Like