Switch! (Part 1)

The Switch battery is nearly half the size of the thing you are holding. There isn’t much they can do about the battery, right now. And I don’t expect battery tech to get any better for…some years, honestly.

What they need to do is patch into the OS the ability to store games onto a USB hardrive so that you can hotswap games (with patch data) from internal storage. That way you don’t have to deal with re-downloading games all the time.

You improve battery life by making the CPU/GPU drain less wattage. That’s 95% of how battery life improvements work and it’s totally feasible. Process shrinks automatically make the same CPU design use less power.

1 Like

wild

3 Likes

Woah, there is some truly wild stuff in there.

The way they translate physicality into the games is what’s jumping out at me most. Creating motorbike tracks by scanning real-world objects or tracing the path of a little cardboard bike in the air… Creating original fish for the fishing game using a cardboard cutout. CUTTING OUT WAVEFORMS from cardboard and importing them in the piano game! Making “rhythm cards” by punching holes in cardboard like a player piano roll. Waving a baton to dictate tempo. This is all very innovative stuff. They’ve taken the concept far beyond where I expected them to.

The robot didn’t surprise me as much, but it actually seems really fun. Kind of a strange Nintendo version of VR, with almost an Earth Defense Force vibe? Racking up combos by blowing things up looks really satisfying.

Also, lol at the grandpa-voice piano preset. I’m getting a WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven comedy vibe from some of the software.

1 Like

toycon house resident for ssb5

4 Likes

“After fishing, view your catches in the toycon piano in aquarium mode!”

This truly is wild

I love it

2 Likes

so i just downloaded Never Stop Sneakin’ on a lark, and i’m really enjoying it! not only for it’s lavish devotion to MGS1 graphics and aesthetic goofiness, but also it feels like a less stressful, one-stick Hotline Miami. so far it doesn’t feel very difficult at all but everything has such a great stickiness to it that i can’t put it down

3 Likes

Splatoon 2 getting its first paid DLC at 20 bucks

also

5 Likes

since it’s coming out this year, i’m curious how different it actually is from the WiiU version, or if it’s just gonna be adding Splatoon stuff to 4. i’m fine with it either way.

really the big takeaway is that I’M FUCKIN’ GETTIN THAT CAPTAIN TOAD, BABY

2 Likes

I found out it’s also getting released on 3DS for some reason so I can scratch another thing off the my laughably short “reasons to get a Switch” list

1 Like

Will BotW Link just be a costume though or make him his whole own thing with physics manipulating runes and weapons that break in the middle of the match?

I mean, if it just 4 plus all DLC and a couple of new characters, I am still all about that.

There’s a demo of Kirby: Star Allies on the e-shop. It has two playable levels. I played the tutorial one, and it’s very charming! Nice looking game, good music, hella fan service. The feel of the game is just right, except for the fact that jump is mapped to A and inhale/attack is mapped to B. That’s kind of unforgivable. I wonder if you can remap it.

I grew up loving Kirby games, but I’m not sure whether I can still get totally into one in the year 2018. The games are still as cute and lovely as they’ve always been, but they also pretty much play identically to how they always have… It kind of feels like I’ve outgrown them. But I haven’t gone deep on any of the newer Kirby games since The Amazing Mirror (which was dope), so maybe if I got really into it I’d have a good time.

Star Allies has co-op, that counts for a lot. And they’re going to have free DLC that lets you play as Marx from Kirby Superstar, which is totally weird and I love it.

When’s Canvas Curse 3?

Or since it’s Switch, Rainbow Curse Deluxe

Kirby games are, to me, co-op games and only that. There hasn’t been a mechanically interesting Kirby since Superstar, which at times was a beat-em-up disguised as a platformer. But just like beat-em-ups, Kirby games are kind of miserable alone.

And that’s coming from someone who loves them!!

I’m of course only talking about main-line Kirby games. Canvas Curse is incredible, the best possible touchscreen game IMO. And of course Air Ride is just pure joy.

Kirby’s Epic Yarn is wonderful though, even if it’s not interesting. It’s a warm hug and a long conversation about your favorite sweaters. It’s a warm mug of cider with a friend. I play it like once a year with my wife. I love it.

But I would never play it single player.

2 Likes

Solaire Amiibo + New Smash = ?

6 Likes

That’s one of the things that really differentiated the Wii U in my eyes: it really succeeded at being a local multiplayer console while the other consoles had seemingly given up on the notion. The only reason I buy new Dual Shock 4s is because the analog sticks die on me, not because there are any games you can play together locally. (except for KNACK 2 BAYBEE the knackstapiece)

But that’s also the reason I never got a Wii U. My friends mostly live hours away, and having a library full of games that I would mainly want to play with others but can’t is a reason it never felt worth buying to me. I was worried the Switch’s heavy emphasis on local multiplayer would backfire in the mass market, but I guess not?

the emphasis on local multiplayer probably didn’t hurt because they made it so wherever the hell you are is now local and everyone can bring their own screen

a story: some time in the last year, the headphone jack in my Switch stopped working properly. sound only out the left channel. a few weeks ago, remembering that the first anniversary the end of my warranty was coming up, I sent it off to Nintendo. a week later, and I got my system back untouched

well, I didn’t take this lying down. 20 bucks later and I have sweet stereo sound again

take that, Nintendo. I got sound and my system is a horrible abomination of cables!

9 Likes

I played that Kirby demo that I forgot I downloaded.

it’s fun-ish

it’s cute

it’s 30 fps

guess which of these things bugs me

1 Like

i too hate cuteness

8 Likes