Switch! (Part 1)

Yeah, I was really hoping that the US would get that port but hahaha noooo :frowning:

Hey so it’s my birthday soon and I think I want to get a switch

Should I wait to get a switch for some reason

Is there anything I definitely need other than the console and a game

Is zelda still the first game to get

1 Like

Nah. I don’t think we’ll see a price drop or refresh for at least a year.

You should get one or two USB-A-to-C cables. Then you can charge the Switch (slowly) with any phone charger, or from a laptop or portable battery. (You might also consider getting a second official charger for fast charging. Its fast charging protocol is proprietary and unique.) Otherwise you’ll have to dock it all the time and you won’t be able to play it in portable mode while it’s charging.

Yep.

2 Likes

$30 for a USB charger???

It’s 40W. That’s the going rate for laptop-tier chargers. The annoying thing is that I doubt it will deliver the 40W to anything except the Switch. And I have ~5 even more expensive USB-PD 30/60W chargers that charge the Switch at 5W like everything else.

(I ended up getting a USB-C power-draw measurement device to sort out these questions, that’s the fresh hell of USB-C.)

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Screen-Protector-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N3ASPNV/ref=lp_16227128011_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1490219267&sr=1-4

2 Likes

remember at the meetup when you tried to give me a decent charger for my great microUSB charging laptop and it wouldn’t boot? It’ll actually charge fine over whatever when it’s off or suspended but it’s picky when it’s on.

Just gonna advocate some more for Golf Story as a good early purchase and a nice, light refresher between Big Budget Games

am i the only person who strongly dislikes golf story hmmm

2 Likes

I’m curious why you dislike it! I do think it’s fairly uneven but the charming parts are very charming and the golf is very very good

I didn’t buy it because I suspected it wasn’t for me.

This is the best action roguelike of all time IMO and perfectly suited for Switch so definitely pick this up if you haven’t played it yet.

Note: I recommend remapping the diagonal inputs to shoulder buttons and up-down/left-right combinations to face buttons. (Hopefully this version will support remapping…)

There’s totally going to be like, a Switch Pro that has the 3D from the 3DS in it

(no there’s not but I’m just going to prognosticate like a dweeb anyway)

there will almost certainly be a switch successor on faster hardware that’s backwards compatible because that Nvidia platform already exists, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worth holding out for

The Switch could be a little less bulky and heavy, the kickstand could stand to be less crummy, it could use standard USB-PD fast charging, it could support bluetooth headphones, the screen could be larger, and the battery could last longer when playing a game like Zelda. That’s the kind of thing I’m looking forward to in a refresh.

None of these are particularly severe problems with the existing model, but the hardware does have a bit of a “phat DS”, good-enough 1.0 quality.

congrats you just made the switch cost $800 US

3 Likes

I think they are more likely to make a budget Mini-Switch for kids

4 Likes

Nintendo finally did a good job on the user account management on this one. Every purchase and save file is associated with an account, but other users sharing the same system can also play the games purchased by the others. It’s very clear which account you are and easy to switch game-by-game without any clunky “logging out”. There’s even a feature to transfer an account and all its save files between devices which should be useful when a refresh comes out or if it gets damaged. This kind of multi-user account management is not so easy to do right so I’m glad Nintendo finally sorted things out.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really like how they realized it can be quick and easy to ask, ‘which player is on which controller’? And do it whenever the controller situation might become confused.

14 Likes