Switch! (Part 1)

Been playing Dragon Quest Builders demo and heyo, i was right this is exactly my kind of game.

I think every game is made better by adding Dragon Quest to it. Monopoly, Pokemon, Minecraft, Zelda, Rogue…

I guess the exception would be Advance Wars. That Dragon Quest Tactics game sucked big time.

what the hell there was a dragon quest tactics

1 Like

this looks more like Phantasy Star Online Episode III to me than it does a tactics game

I’m playing the Dragon Quest Builders demo too, and I’m enjoying it a lot more than I expected. I’ve never gotten into a crafting game, and the only Dragon Quest game I’ve ever played was Dragon Warrior Monsters… But something about the combination of crafting and action-RPG mechanics is really satisfying. From what I’ve played so far, you always have a clear objective, which appeals to me much more than the open-ended gameplay of something like Minecraft.

2 Likes

It’s really good. As it opens up a bit, you have to level up your town by making enough rooms of a certain value, but you’re still deciding on layout and decoration and whatnot. And in between, you are adventuring and getting better gear and finding new resources. Excellent flow.

huh

$69, 4/20 nice

11 Likes

this actually looks kinda neat. i have little cousins who could be all about this.

considering how many loose wii and wii u garbage accessories i still have floating around, the idea of just recycling all this shit when you’re completely done is novel

2 Likes

WHAT

2 Likes

Cool idea. This will be a professional Designer darling I bet

1 Like

Didn’t see that one coming!

My girlfriend works at a puzzle store, and I have to say that extremely bourgeois liberal parents in nice neighborhoods of big cities really love to buy cardboard robotics kits for their children. I think that demographic is about to go all-in on the Switch.

1 Like

OH MY GOD ARE THEY CALLING THEM TOY-CON

1 Like

If they run out of manufacturing capacity on fucking cardboard then… they’re Nintendo I guess

3 Likes
2 Likes

yeah this is also bread and butter for well-funded public libraries here too

good call nintendo

2 Likes

Third party devs can easily make these too, right?

Circa 2010 both the Wii and rhythm game fads suddenly collapsed. Was the reason maybe that everyone’s closet got too full of plastic junk and everyone was allergic to buying any more? Nintendo’s been quietly pondering that history ever since.

I thought it was pretty cool at first, but it was the millennial whooping that really sold it

3 Likes

All I can think of is that this really hinges on the cardboard quality and haptics

I think this is gonna be really cool for kids, and I personally don’t have a great deal of interest in it. But I love the idea of super cheap accessories that you assemble yourself. I am hoping this opens up a whole new market of bizarre cardboard accessories for the Switch.

1 Like