Switch! (Part 1)

The pro controller still has a cool lookin d-pad, but it’s a bummer it doesn’t come by default with it

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to putting that very fresh and distinct pro controller in the basket next to my Wii Pro Controller and Wii U Pro Controller.

3 Likes

No, if you use it as a mini-joystick you wouldn’t be able to hit A + Y together if it was a dpad. Like this they lose button markings but you wouldn’t complain too much if you got the ‘left’ controller.

1 Like

You know how people were saying soccer moms were confused by the Wii U? …that’s sort of how I felt watching this trailer.

The transforming stuff seems needlessly confusing… It would be a lot cleaner if you could just sit down with the handheld in front of the TV and start playing. That’s what I first thought this was going to be. And then you’d get the benefits of a second screen for some games. Instead you have to sacrifice that screen, slide it into a station, and break off and re-attach plastic pieces (or buy the pro controller). It sort of feels and looks like one of the mock-up rumors you hear about that actually ended up being real.

1 Like

[quote=“WarpZone, post:64, topic:3070, full:true”]It sort of feels and looks like one of the mock-up rumors you hear about that actually ended up being real.
[/quote]

The same could be said of all religions…

1 Like

R.I.P. Wii U

23 Likes

Sort of like that Power of the Daleks animation they’re releasing to movie theaters to take the place of series 10 this fall.

1 Like

I suspect after a grace period most games will forget the snap-offs, forget you can undock the thimg, presume everyone has the pro pad, and treat the system like an underpowered generic home console. And eventually even Nintendo will bow to that, after a few valiant efforts to demonstrate why these elements can be interesting.

5 Likes

Whoa, I didn’t even know we were getting that

1 Like

It’s playing downtown here!

1 Like

I already posted this in the axe thread but I think this is the smartest hardware move they’ve made since the original Wii, the problem is that their market segments are disappearing so rapidly it’s hard to know whether it’ll do as well as it would’ve had something similar not come out around the same time as the Wii U (keeping in mind that Tegra hardware that’s sort of competitive with the Xbone only just now exists with reasonable thermals).

Regardless, since there wasn’t going to be a Vita 2, I think this is in many ways The Last Portable that really makes sense. There’s plenty of other stuff they could screw up – they need to ship most of the Wii U library on this thing for cheap in its first year, and hopefully it won’t have as many weird hardware corners cut as the Wii U. But maybe! It’s good they have NVIDIA in their corner.

5 Likes

in my weird fantasy world where Sega combined the Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn into a single product that wasn’t a disaster, the Wii U was actually just additional functionality shipped on the 2012 Apple TV

they totally could’ve hired people to port Dolphin to the A6X earlier that year and rolled out backwards compatibility on a game-by-game basis, and rather than shipping their absurd 480p framebuffer Wii mode they could’ve just packaged all of the old apps individually with native 4x upscaling

as a bonus, the Apple TV wouldn’t have had the world’s worst input device, and people could stop talking about when they’ll finally ship a controller for it

3 Likes

Cheap or cheap is like Nintendo’s defining dilemma.

11 Likes

calling two Switch features yet to be announced:

— VRboy peripheral
— Pokémon Go connectivity

1 Like

I mean. I kind of expect they’ll come out with new doowozzles to snap onto the sides, as an extension of the doowozzle fever over the Wii remote port.

Just realised how ridiculous it is to expect more then a handful launch titles and the occasional first-party one to support local multiplayer modes with completely unique control schemes that only use half the buttons of a normal controller.

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve seen that one go around a lot lately but I’m pretty sure it was actually made when the Wii U was announced. Funny how a lot of the games he lists were unannounced pipe dreams at the time but are now either out or just on the verge.
Great vid still though.