Switch! (Part 1)

you know what’s better than worrying if Mario looks worse in portable mode?

PLAYING MARIO ON THE SHITTER

I think Mario is best played docked just because trying to pull off the motion controlled moves is unfathomable when playing handheld.

oh god I will never take any of my games into the bathroom, that’s where all the germs in the house are

3 Likes

inoculate all gameyoes with your own unique and robust probiotic flora to prevent streetpass transmitted disease

4 Likes

According to Digital Foundry, both Mario & Zelda have less severe framerate drops in handheld mode too (not that Mario has all that many to begin with). So in some cases, the games run even better in handheld mode!

1 Like

so how do y’all feel about this thing so far?

my initial impression was very negative but it seems like it might be the platform for japanese stuff down the line and should probably be on my radar now?

I am shocked how comfortable I am just holding the dongles whereever laying on the couch.

Never felt comfortable with wii mote and chuck.

They need to announce some fucking games for it. They already blew a Mario Kart, a Mario, and a Zelda.

The store is quickly becoming a nightmare amd they at least need a tab for the arcade archives. It looks like a god damn screenshot from a slideshow they programed to move.

Will buy everything Psykio throws up on it.

Yeah, totally. I’ve gotten into the habit of lying on my bed with it propped up on some duvet over my stomach while my arms rest at my sides with the joy cons, which is kind of super funny.

I super love the Switch as a handheld, and particularly one which fills the PS Vita role of “cool indie machine I can play in bed.” I’m not even too bummed or worried about the lack of announced upcoming games, cos I think, for me, it’ll be a platform where smaller unknown games can surprise me every now and again.

I wanted TV out on the Vita and true portability for the Wii U pad. The Switch gives me both. The OS is barebones but fast, and I think the file size limitations are mostly a good thing. Joycons are good vis-a-vis Vita/3DS controls but bad as console controllers. I hope there’s a good market to support indie ports (I could see these drying up), but I like it as a new PS2-type home for mid-budget Japanese games. If it gets a Windows game streaming app approved (Rainway is an open question now) it will be killer.

Anybody here make serious attempt at playing Skyrim or Doom on it? Still feels like the upcoming Wolfenstein 2 port needs to be seen before it can actually be believed.

wolf 2 should be like 1:1 with doom performance, which is anecdotally about as fine as could be hoped

i got the Switch Doom on sale and only played about 10 minutes of it, loading times are expectedly bad but it’s sort of amazing that it runs the way that it does (consistently about 30fps, pretty decent)

it takes up too much space on my SD card though, so i might just stick with my xbox one version

Good work everyone here’s to another good year.

3 Likes

Hopefully this is the year of virtual console so I can once again buy games I already own.

3 Likes

didn’t they say they were going to build that into their subscription service?

I might be against that normally but on Nintendo platforms I really don’t think there’s any pro consumer argument for buying individuals roms at this point

That was one of the incentives I think. Something about being able to play some selection of roms for a month before they shuffled them again the next month or choose one for free for a month or something.

I hear they pushed back the sub service launch again. Still not looking forward to having to pay to play spaltoon 2 or ARMS multiplayer online but I think the earlier prices I heard for it were super reasonable to about 10$-12$ for a year compared to the 60$ a year for PS+/XBGold.

I would be shocked if you can’t turn in those embarrassingly useless My Nintendo points for a couple months of the online service

Believe the price was about 3600 yen? If only the very device I am typing this on would tell me beyond blind conjecture.

I got a gift card for Xmas for a chain of stores I never shop at unless I have a gift card, and the only thing I can ever find to use them on are their small selection of video games.

Waiting for a game I actually really want like Yakuza 6 won’t work, because they don’t sell such niche games. However, since most of the best Switch games are mainstream first party games, they tend to have a reasonable selection of games I might be interested in.

Based on that, I am wondering if any of you lot have played any of the following games and whether they are worth wasting $70 of not-money on:

• Fire Emblem Warriors - (I am stilling playing through DQ Heroes 2, so I might be a bit Musou-ed out by the end of it)

• Pokken Tournament DX - (I was really not sold on the demo, but maybe it was just a bad representation of the game?)

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - (I’m not actually sure they stock this one, might be too niche. Also I dunno if I can be bothered if it is too grindy and excessively long)

• None of the above, wait for (insert upcoming game I probably forgot about)

I’m playing a lot of FE Warriors but I have an embarrasingly low bar for being satisfied with musou games and it’s maybe not worth full price. It is as polished as Hyrule Warriors and the base game lasts about as long as vanilla HW but I think there are really only like 5 movesets between all the characters.

2 Likes