Switch! (Part 1)

yesss it’s very good, i have this exact stand and use it all the time

tate is great in 1945, gunbarich and a few of the Namco classics games (druaga!!)

hope hamster starts putting out non-neo-geo games eventually! tho happy to hear zerodiv is doing their own thing too

also golf story is out this week, i hope it is good

1 Like

I got one of these! When does DQ Builders come out?

All I have is Puyo Tetris and Golf Story. So far, very worthwhile purchases. Golf Story is cute and fun, and very charming. I’m pretty good at it so that’s nice.

So…what else should I be getting for this system? Seems like Arms has died down a lot. I think I want to get Mario + Rabbids. Are people still playing Splatoon 2? Spla2n?

I might buy BotW even though I, uh, acquired it on the Wii U.

Arms is legitimately really fun, but probably not, like $60 fun. It controls marvelously and feels immensely satisfying. It’s absolutely worth $35, I would say.

Sonic Mania is an obvious must-have if you don’t already own it for PC.

If you liked Super Meat Boy, then Slime-San is a better version of it. Very charming little indie aerobic platformer.

Splatoon 2 is great and people are definitely still playing it.

Get hype for Mario!

2 Likes

Oh, and I don’t own it myself, but Stardew Valley just came out for Switch, and it seems like the perfect platform for it.

I am still playing splatoon and they’re gonna buff the .96 gal and I just started using it woooo

1 Like

Golf Story is so cute so far, it’s been a relaxing chill-out game (especially when played right after Cuphead sessions). I’m hesitant to pick up Stardew Valley because i can’t play 2-retro inspired reimaginings of my favorite underrated game genres (life sims and golf games) at the same time

Splatoon 2 is fantastic and still loads of fun but i kind of had to take a break because once you get to the mid-30’s and 40’s level it sort of stops being an everyday thing and becomes a “once in a Splat-fest” kind of thing, so i’ll hop on every now and again when it’s worth it

Mario Kart 8 is, without hyperbole, the best Mario Kart game ever made, but Deluxe is probably only worth it if you’re playing online with people or haven’t played much of the Wii U version (it’s pretty much the same except the battle mode isn’t shitty now)

not sure if i’ll ever beat BOTW completely, but good lord, i think that might be the only Zelda game i truly love playing and being inside of

my friend and i said that when the new Wolfenstein comes out we’re gonna try to beat the whole thing in one day, and that’s pretty much the only way i’ll play it when it comes out because the new Mario releases on the same day and folks, i will 100-percent that game, and you’ll see a lot less of me when it drops

3 Likes

Isn’t the battle mode always shitty?

granted if you weren’t a fan of the balloon battles from 64, this won’t be your thing, but there’s a few different modes, including a cops and robbers thing and a coin collecting one but they all are about functionally the same

before Deluxe, the battle modes were just literally the normal stages (not designed for battles) but you get to drive around the other way and try to hit people

I just finished Mario + rabbids the other day, it is a pretty solid game, as long as you can stomach the zaniness of the rabbids. I love how Yoshi rabbid’s face icon looks totally blazed

Y’all should get Mario Bros Arcade those sprites are extemely expressive in a way 8bit games never are.

Then play the NES version and go woah there isn’t a single other NES game that animates this well.

2 Likes

yo i just saw that elliot quest is out on this for $10, and that led me to finding out that it came out on ps4 and bone earlier this year too, but i’m making this post anyway because playing it on switch probably rules and it’s unsettlingly good and largely slept on afaik

2 Likes

Also on 3DS.

Toups liked it.

1 Like

SMTV announced as a Switch exclusive (starts at 1:02:35)

Is that definitely an exclusive or just no mention of PS4 yet? There were a bunch of job posting related rumours previously

I really need to play Elliot Quest, but man, that name just bums me out somehow. Elliot. Like, who’s Elliot? Puts me in the mind of the first short ZZT game made by a 14-year-old in 1996.

5 Likes

The only thing bad about Elliot Quest is its title, yeah.

At least the console stores recognized that it’s good and let it on. If it was purely a Steam game it would be so lost in the ocean of similar-looking games it would have about 3 sales total.

I decided to wait for a hardware revision but Odyssey isn’t making it easy

I’m really interested in the portability aspect of it, how well does the Switch work as a portable?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be comfortable taking it somewhere without a dedicated carrying case, unlike pretty much every DS I’ve ever owned. Probably a screen protector as well? Like, it’s a great console for carrying around in my apartment and using in the bathroom or in bed, but I wouldn’t want to test the wear tolerance of the thumbsticks or the screen too much with the one I’m paying for.

1 Like

I have a slipcover for it and feel comfortable throwing it into a bag. I feel less comfortable pulling it out on the bus as it’s still a bit ostentatious and quite large (only when I’m sitting in the back). Battery life is very short (2-3 hours) but the dock makes it easier to keep it charged for whenever you need it.

2 Likes