Switch! (Part 1)

I use bucket.

I will be getting it.

1 Like

Damn, I completely missed out.
No idea now if I am going to enjoy the full game, why is there no regular demo or anything

Speaking as someone who sunk 200+ hours into the original, splatoon really is best played with motion controls. The idea is to rotate/tilt the controller in concert with stick-aiming. Tilting up and down for y-axis aiming is fairly straightforward, but x-axis aiming is a bit more difficult; it’s best handled almost like the steering wheel of a bus.

It seems really unintuitive, but once you get used to the stick/motion control combination, it actually gives you loads more mobility than traditional stick-aiming.

As for general tips; if you’re not covering turf with ink, you want to be swimming in it. Try to avoid just firing aimlessly into enemy ink while running forward. You’ll make yourself an easy target for enemies who are just sharking around, ready to pick you off. Instead, you want to work together with your team to cover turf, then swim into a position that’s advantageous to your weapon. Most of the time that means flanking rather than taking enemies head on (which almost always results in a trade, or a death if the enemy out-ranges you), or trying to hold your ground if someone has you in their sights.

Sub-weapons like grenades are usually used to force enemies into bad positions, and specials expand the range of tactics you can use to press forward.

Anyway, I’m super pumped for splatoon 2. The game looks and feels a lot like the original, but I’m totally fine with that. Splatoon is the best squad shooter I’ve played, and has loads of depth if you give it time. The only thing that will take some getting used to is the controller; the wii u gamepad is almost burnt into my muscle memory, and it was nice always having a map accessible…

5 Likes

I payed a bit using the Joy-Cons out of the grip. I wonder if I would need the stick to aim at all if they would let me bump up the horizontal sensitivity of that config.

I will be up for a good splatooning come next week.

I used the motion controls. I think they’re fine!

I forgot how to throw grenades and didn’t use them.

Ah man I had a helluva time in the splatfest! I never used motion controls in the original game but I’m committed to making it work and I think I’m getting the hang of it! After getting our asses kicked (I was taking turns with a roommate) for 2 hours, we eventually hit a groove and won like… 7 games in a row? Then one loss, then 5 more?? It was awesome.

The new specials are a lot weaker than the old ones but I’m finding them all useful in the right situation. Unlike before, you shouldn’t always just fire as soon as you get it. It seems like the specials charge up faster now, but maybe I’m just imagining it (since it would be a sensible to balance their reduced utility). I definitely don’t think I used 4-7 specials every battle in the last game. Are y’all feeling this way too?

Just added a Buncha y’all! Friend code: 5811-0280-6241

Hm, I didn’t notice a massive difference in the special charge time, but you’re probably right. It could just be turf war though; people just aren’t as concerned with getting kills cause there’s no centralised objective, so you tend to stay alive longer.

I’m digging the new specials too. I kinda miss kraken cause it was so fun to use, but in general, the old specials were way overpowered. They also didn’t encourage much strategic thinking; the idea was generally to charge your special, go in aggressively, trigger it, and catch people off guard. The kraken and bubbler functioned almost like get-out-jail-free cards, and in tower mode you could just trigger them on tower to gain free points.

The first thing I noticed about the new specials is that none can be used as a crutch. They tend to leave you pretty exposed, so you need to think carefully about how and when you’re gonna use them.

33 posts were split to a new topic: Splatoon 2: The Splats of My Tears

The most Nintendo possible:

10 Likes

this some one step forward eighty steps back kind of shit, it’s sort of hard to believe

5 Likes

it’s Nintendo so it’s actually pretty easy to believe

now, how they did it on the Wii U, where things mostly made sense, that’s the real shocker

all I’ll say is that the Switch Online app has a huge feedback section and that I encourage everyone to send them giant notes of “what the fuck are you doing”. I’ve already sent two just based off of the nonsense writers with press copies have been saying

Yeah, the WiiU, had it not been for the silly pad (that was clearly a protoSwitch) did a lot right, but Nintendo.

I think my favorite part is that the app doesn’t rotate to be in landscape.

the best part of the app is that voice chat doesn’t work if you put your phone to sleep

Oh yeah, and heaven help you if you get a text, because apparently that stops it as well.

That looks so convoluted, uh, I guess just get on Skype.

Definitely glad I decided to wait until the next model surfaces

Kind of interesting to see though more companies coming out with the custom Joycon Grip things though. With the Joycons themselves doing pretty much all the heavy lifting I imagine they’re relatively cheap to produce? I think it was during the UbiSoft E3 presser that there was a trailer for a new Games to Life thing where you would attach your little toy space ships to the centre of their own Grip. Not sure if they can do data communication with the Joycons and the console though?

EDIT: Here it is @0:50

oh yeah the joycons have to be like 75% profit

I really want a custom left Joycon with a real-deal dpad, those buttons don’t cut it

2 Likes