Switch! (Part 1)

I added everybody who posted their friend codes in the thread.

ARMS arrived, so i popped it in for a try. The motion controls are cool but moving and blocking are kind of hard to manage with them, but maybe I have to get used to it? I could just do regular controller I guess but that feels kinda boring, I wanna do weird stuff.

The game itself is pretty simple but pretty dang fun, though I felt like I had enough for the night after about ten stages. It’s cool to see the younger, hip side of nintendo coming out more after splatoon.

uh wow, it sucks sucking at video games.

i tried rank 2 arcade mode and got my ass handed to me on the very first match.

then after losing 4 times in a row to the robot policeman and his dog over a fucking volleyball game (which gives me more trouble than the actual fighting) i quit in shame and frustration.

1 Like

I’m going to win ARMS at Evo 2018 and I’ll tell you this: I spent like 4 hours trying to beat arcade mode on level 4. The computer cheats! People online don’t. They’re all fucking dumb! Except for botoggle, he read my fucking mind and downloaded me and blew me up.

Just go online and do random shit and hit buttons. Show no fear! No one can stop you.

3 Likes

Target shot as helix vs Min Min with her dragons was a huge pain. Seems in arcade mode there is always that one character who gives you trouble and they are usually one of the first few

What if I told you that rank 7 of Grand Prix is the true pit of ARMS

I sure do love having grabs come at me on wake-up if I’m holding block

I don’t even get bugged by Headlok anymore, it’s getting to him that’s the pain. Good money though.

ARMS is my favorite thing right now, despite being very bad at it.

it makes me want to work out

The local anime store has a copy of Cave Story +, which I assume is an import since it is not available anywhere else here. I only briefly played it years ago so it is kinda tempting to pick it up, but I dunno if it is worth it for $59

You should probably see if your CC can be accepted on foreign eshops and buy it with another account

I think the price would be roughly the same though right? How much is it in the US?

I think I am mostly wondering if there is enough content to justify the price

Is there anything different between this version of Cave Story + and the one that is ten bucks on Steam?

I think there is some new stuff in game, but also there is some extras like soundtrack CD, booklet etc. Not really sure on the specifics though

Ah, OK. Like I was kinda wondering at the gall to release Cave Story for that price, but I guess it makes a bit of sense if there is some additional stuff and like physical goods with it, as people do love that stuff. I mean, it’s still kinda ridiculous, but.

I’ve finally caved and decided to buy a Switch and play ARMS with y’all, but of course they’re nowhere to be found. Any hot tips for finding one that’s not marked up?

Hi guys I bought physical cave story switch I will tell you what it is like in a month.

if you’re in NA or parts of europe, try setting up some notifications for local store stock via istocknow.com

1 Like

Please do. I mean, I think it would be cool if there were enough to justify it, but I am also amazed at that existing in 2017.

I’ve got it! Here’s the deal with cave story +

Price is 30 bucks in NA
It’s got four soundtracks: original, “Remastered,” “Plus,” and “Famitracks.” I’m like 99% sure the “Famitracks” version is new to the Switch game, and also it’s extremely good (probably my favorite of the four, though I switch often).
It’s got a few minor graphical upgrades, though none that I particularly noticed (facial animations??).
It’s got a number of challenge modes, which I THINK are all from previous versions but might not have ever been all in the same game before.
It does NOT have whatever extra stuff was in the weird 3DS version (extra areas)
In a week or so there will be free DLC adding a cooeprative multiplayer mode, which sounds awesome.
Aside from that, it is definitely a “definitive” edition. ANy feature that has ever been in any veresion of Cave Story, with the exception of the extra areas in the 3DS game, is here.

The beautifully-produced box comes with a mini-soundtrack in one of those small CDs. My car can’t play it so idk what’s on it yet (i do know it’s the Famitrack version, which as I mentioned earlier is excellent), maybe I’ll put it in my PC later and report back. It also has a manual that is made to look like an NES manual (same dimensions, but smaller), and it’s a treat. Lots of great art and cute writing in the informal style of some NES manuals (including a “Nicalis Seal of Quality” on the inside cover).

If it sounds like I’m trying to sell it, it’s just because I do think it’s a great package! I would certainly call it the “definitive” version of the game, and the physical release feels like the end of a journey for a game so many people love. I don’t at all regret buying it one last time,

Here’s a few negatives:
Controls are only barely customizable
Soundtrack can only be changed from the main menu. The good news is that quitting the game to the main menu, changing the soundtrack, and loading the save is REALLY fast, so it’s no hassle at all, and the way I play is I change the soundtrack whenever I die, which is a cute way to keep things interesting.
Co op mode not out yet.
Only has the “plus” translation (didn’t earlier paid versions include the original translation?? don’t remember)

OH I FORGOT ONE LAST THING: in the desert area, instead of having to get the 5 dogs one at a time, which is a total slog on repeat playthroughs, you can get all five dogs, each one stacking on top of the previous one, until you’re wearing a giant stack-o’-dogs on your head! It’s extremely cute AND convenient.

EDIT: Nicalis has also said, and I just confirmed this by looking at some press stuff from May, that the Switch version has some completely-new levels, but I’m not sure where they are. Either they’re secret, or one of the bonus modes I haven’t played yet is actually new, contrary to what I said above, OR the new stages are coming as DLC. I’ve been blowing through the game pretty casually in my idle time, so I may have overlooked a new secret. I’ll be playing it for-real with my roommate when the coop comes out.

6 Likes

what’s pixel’s level of involvement in new music/graphics/particularly levels in cave story re-releases and shit? i always wonder that

cave story is one of my favorite games, but i have really not at all been into what they’ve done with it beyond it’s original release.

1 Like

ARMS is a pure salt maker for me. I’m just not getting a feel for it. I never seem to press the right button the right way. I really dig the vibe and the characters but the buttons dont feel all that fun to press and you get punished hard for doing so incorrectly. Not really feeling much in the way of zoning and almost everything is a hard read.