Switch! (Part 1)

this kind of reminds me of the wavebird, now that i think about it

2 Likes

it looks awesome, i want to hold it

5 Likes

it looks fuckin dumb as hell

5 Likes

I don’t understand how it can be better docked. Like what does the dock… do…

PC computing with Thunderbolt 3 or USBC ports means I can dock my integrated GPU laptop to an external GPU to have a real fucking thing blast real lasers into my eyes. But this? I don’t understand it.

If the hardware clocks down when on battery power, so it actually lasts more than an hour, plugging it into the dock would effectively “increase performance.”

I’m not trying to be shitty but I’m fairly unimpressed.
I mean that controller looks like a carpal tunnel generator. But you can use a standard controller so it doesn’t seem too bad. But using either side as a wand just looks uncomfortable.

It’s an ‘under powered system’ which doesn’t really bother me, frankly a trend to make games smaller in manpower scope and pure money to fidelity I think would probably mean better games. But this thing sounds like it will be so far behind I question third party support for it. Which means we’re getting another isolated Nintendo console. Might lead to a pile of exclusives that will make this worth picking up later, but that’s the problem. How many times have people picked up a Nintendo console for access to the Big N exclusives as those games steadily loose magic. I’ll grant this new Zelda looks cool, but I still own a WiiU.

It’s the lack of backwards compatibility that kills it for me. I have a pile of WiiU games and I don’t want to deal with another Nintendo system for access to what, a new Mario? Like any of these things, the hardware might be interesting but games first. And Skyrim is a game I’ve played on a better platform already.

3 Likes

To be fair they aren’t commenting on ANYTHING right now. They are being insanely secretive, Bethesda hasn’t even confirmed if Skyrim is launching for the system.

has there been any speculation about those weird nubs underneath the directional pad and right analog stick? why are they such weird shapes

also, calling it now: SB 3.0 will be called “Minus Button”

2 Likes

The button on the bottom right looks like a Home button. The one on the bottom left is ambiguous but it looks like an optical audio TOSLINK port to plug your home theater surround sound system into your controller.

oh good call, i thought at first it was shaped like a star, not a house

anything to differentiate ourselves from the 5 other SB communities.

Something shifty about a “to slink” port…

1 Like

Isn’t TOSLINK being phased out these days? I hear the removal of that port is the one thing that can be considered a downgrade with the PS4 Slim from the original model.

I’ve sorta skimmed Aderack’s responses but generally agree with his pessimism. You wanna know what games are now? Little kids playing on their iPad while their parents drink margaritas at Mexican restaurants.

This thing will not replace that experience for the children because it takes slightly more effort to set up and stuff. It’s also not gonna have the 'tude of an xbone or a street fighter like PS4 has. Also, why the fuck is Nintendo re-releasing the NES a few months before this thing comes out? Even if Nintendo says “hey, we’re putting all the NES games on this thing, buy our new product!” the casuals are gonna be like “naw, the kids/my spouse already bought that thing a few months ago and it’s collecting dust”.

I don’t think Switch is going to have any of that TV stuff so it’s not going to get any xbone players or ps4 players because that Nintendo shit is for babies yo!

13 and under might buy and 33 and over weirdos might buy it.

It looks amazing, I can’t wait personally.

It was a joke but I would laugh and laugh if the new Nintendo video game controller had a toslink plug so you could plug in your Astros.

Also whoa, I didn’t know the PS4 Pro dropped it. I use it to plug in some speakers when I play on my nice monitor that has no speakers.

The NES Mini just the stop gap to make sure they have something noteworthy out of Christmas. If it fosters a refired desire for the two controller couch fun times that the Switch also calls for, that’s a bonus.

I have to say, I begrudgingly bought a Wii for a handful of exclusive titles, I did the same with the 3DS, and I basically told the Wii U to go fuck itself because there was no way I was buying a third Nintendo machine that I’d hardly touch.

But this? This I’m actually interested in as a piece of hardware. If it winds up being cheaper than a Playstation VR maybe this thing will be my swan song gaming purchase, after which I’ll probably be PC/Smartphone/Tablet for the rest of my life because I won’t have the time or money to burn on gaming anymore probably.

Has anyone commented on the fact that they’re killing the classic nintendo D-pad? It’s the first Nintendo device without one, right? It was always the best one on the market (that competitors couldn’t copy for patent reasons, I think), so I’m a bit baffled at the replacement by these four buttons.

Perhaps the idea is that they’re deprioritizing 2d gaming and making controls better-suited to the modern use of D-pad to activate rare inventory items or actions in 3d games. If so, that makes me kind of sad.

2 Likes

i saw a funeral image for the dpad on my jp feed

i think they just really wanted that axial symmetry across the two parts.

2 Likes

pro still has it i believe, just the slim where they’ve removed it