Switch! (Part 1)

9 Likes

So I was really happy in Switch land and yesterday just before a plane trip it ended up getting stuck in a bootloop towards error code 2168-0002. Basically bricked at this point. The last thing I did was configure a wifi access point manually…

Edit: I find it likely that the software is surprised at some dead chip in the device at boot time time. What I find equally possible is that some of the chips in the switch can exhibit defects after being exposed to summer heat (which was my case lately) ; especially since the switch’ chips seem to be made in collaboration with NVIDIA, which had issues in the past with chips dying from heat (I remember this from the 2007 macbook pro)

Hmm thanks for that heads up @hysteresis.

I bought a Switch a couple hours. I was at Best Buy getting a DS for my nephew’s birthday so I asked if they had any Switches. They had exactly one left! They said they had got five in a few days ago. I guess I have been underestimating the availability of Switches. I snapped it up. It has the blue and red joy cons.

I got Zelda along with it (and my nephews stuff) and played some Zelda for a bit in portable mode after opening it and doing the initial system setup. The screen on this thing is really nice! Now I’ve got it charging in the dock and am dorking with it on the TV. I made a Nintendo account so I could access the eshop. Their online thing that starts next year is $20 for 12 months. That’s a lot cheaper than Microsoft or Sony.

My friend code is SW-8541-2628-4311 if you want to add me. I’m just playing Zelda and later this year Mario but there you go.

Now I’m waiting on Zelda to download an update. I did not get a pro controller but the grip thing the joy cons slot into will probably do the job for me. The sticks are in about the same position as an Xbox controller so it shouldn’t trigger carpal tunnel. Zelda’s halfway done downloading. Looking forward to finally playing it.

I don’t buy that it’s some Nvidia chip randomly dying from heat as the architecture the Tegra X1 is built is far, far removed from the GPUs of 10 years ago. Nvidia is currently responsible for some of the coolest running GPUs on the market right and the X1 is only one step removed from their current place in the roadmap.

If you want a hot Nvidia card, I got a Fermi I can pull out and show you :genki:

More to the point, I’ve had mine turn on in my bag and just murder the battery and it was pretty toasty when I grabbed it (not hot to the touch but definitely past warm) and it did it again yesterday and it seemed like it just had turned itself off after a certain temperature threshold was met since I was also missing a good 50% battery life

It’s gonna be like two years until I can walk into a store and just buy one of these huh

1 Like

I like holding both joycons in either hand, dual-wielding style. it’s very relaxed feeling. give it a shot~

1 Like

I’m all the more bummed that so far I’ve been loving the switch experience so far. Most fun I’ve had with videogames in a long while.

What I loved was the easy-to-setup multiplayer experience (playing puyo puyo w/ family) at home or waiting for the train; sharing single player experiences I’ve had as a child with my young nephew (wonderboy 3) ; access everywhere to the neogeo experiences I love etc…

we have a genki sticker? fuck i love this forum! i have a genki racing project sticker i’ve been thinking about putting on my bike

and that’s my big off-topic post of the day sorry

Genki is always on topic. Genki is the best.

:genki:

You all have until Tuesday to practice ARMS, because that’s when I’m buying it, and that’s when everyone starts losing…everyone except for me, that is.

:genki:

3 Likes

I figured ARMS was a bit too steep in price so instead I opted to buy Waku Waku 7, which I had never heard of before but it looked cool and colourful.

Then today I bought ARMS anyway, so whatever

How many of y’all got Mario Kart on the Switch? Debating whether I wanna jump on this or ARMS this payday.

the answer is buy both

buy all Nintendo games

except for 1-2-Switch. gotta have some restraint.

I don’t see myself buying MK8 again after having it on the wii u and paying for both season passes and falling off playing it. Now Sonic Kart 2, that’s another story.

I have MK8 and I’ll be buying ARMS but I’m much more likely to play the latter. Mario Kart is very stressful.

I got 'em both. MK8 is pretty cool, but I am probably more likely to be playing ARMS or breaking my controllers playing Waku Waku 7

I have ARMS but not MK8 because I have it for Wii U and fuck Nintendo for not updating that version.

did I not post my friend code

4269-8641-6309

So, playing Zelda just now and needed to charge the controllers. Looked it up, there were two options:

Attach them to the console while it’s plugged in.

or

Plug the grip into the console with a USB cable

ONLY GUESS WHAT

The controller grip that comes with the console isn’t the one that actually charges the controllers jokes on you pay Nintendo.

They even include, in the box, the USB cable you need to plug the charging grip into the console but charge you an extra $30 for the grip itself.

I guess I’ll go buy one! Or just play in portable mode.

Nintendo

I’m not going to defend Nintendo’s gambit, but this implies you had 20 hours of the Joycons not being attached to the system, assuming a full charge

just stick the things back on when you’re done playing and now you never have a problem

If you’re thinking about the $30 grip I’d recommend these instead so you can use AAs.