Switch! (Part 1)

the 3DS, even the XL, kinda killed my monster hunter enthusiasm, but that also happened right along the time my hunting crew kinda dissolved.

i kinda just want monster hunter 5 along with some Real Graphics (ha) though, but double cross looks fun in a different kinda way. i’ve been out of the MH loop for a while so I don’t know how it measures up.

these games are best-in-class for animation though. i mean i’m pretty sure they’re doing all those monster animations by hand, which is beyond bananas for how naturally they move.

well, not only move naturally but also function as appropriate gameplay tells, etc. very hard to get right!

1 Like

I got one of these like 2 weeks ago and my SO has disappeared into zelda and has only reemerged now that her job is starting

I feel like I got it at the right time with arms and splatoon and disgaea and now MH being announced

Seen people linking rumours around now are that while Switch is getting the classic Monster Hunter experience that Japan craves for handhelds Capcom are working on a Monster Hunter off-shoot for the PS4 made to appeal to the west. Full open world, simplified prep time, fewer weapon types; the works. Sounds more like the kind of thing JP devs learnt the hard way did not work well last gen but 3DS MH apparently exceeded sales expectations for the west so eh?

hello friends and Switchers

have we talked about how good ARMS is yet

it’s so good that it killed rooftop parties for garage hangouts

i played a bit of the “test-punch” last weekend, it’s pretty fun! actually a lot better feeling of punching and grabbing than i was expecting. the way moving works (tilting both the joy cons left or right) doesn’t feel quite as good, and i can’t help but imagine this game would be incredible with Virtual On-style sticks but there’s something fun there.

Is it a real fightman though :twisted:

ARMS is pretty much 3D Footsies: The Game

1 Like

yeah I’m really feeling the virtual on-ness of ARMS – having stick controllers as opposed to motion controls would make it way less finicky

despite kind of flailing as far as attacking goes, I was able to do pretty well with spacing and stuff

I also really really like the lobby system! It’s cool to hang out and get matched up for different games and develop mini-rivalries in that session – it’s nice to separate the runbacks by a game or two because it feels that much better to get them

I played an hour with the motion controls and an hour with the pro controller. I was able to do most of what I wanted to do with the motion controls, but I won way more games with the controller. It’s way easier to dodge and move and position accurately with a stick. If things get hairy with the motion controls it sort of turns into desperate flailing.

Is desperate flailing better for esports drama?

I’ve yet to check it out for myself, but a headline on 8bitdo’s website mentions that if you update to the latest firmware on any of their current controllers they are now Switch compatible. Neat.

3 Likes

heck yeah

reminds me of when I used an x-arcade as 3p and 4p on both my gc and dreamcast

(and 7p and 8p for ssf bomberman)

Nintendo has solved all the problems in-game voice chat previously had

2 Likes

Wow, that’s something.

I’d assumed they were just gunna use the phone ‘speaker phone’ style. Though I guess then you’d get game audio everywhere.

That’s great except for the part where my headphone jack has mysteriously stopped sending sound out the right channel and I’m too lazy to send it in for repairs

I like the hordes of people going “But what about when I’m docked!”

By making people not want to bother with it?

I wonder if this is their way of keeping younger kids away from online voice chat, since they’re not necessarily going to have smart phones, and some of the slightly older ones (like 10 to 11) might have parental locks on their device?

though I think the actual reason is the switch isn’t technically capable of running a VOIP app and a game without rapid battery drain?

I remember playing Pokémon Pearl and overhearing my friend and his partner talking on the other end of the connection not knowing they were voice chatting. Voice chat was available on the original DS through select titles and the impact on battery life was insignificant on top of the cost of online play. The Vita has party chat available in the background whenever and it too didn’t seem to have any kind of impact on battery life when I used it either.

I don’t think the Switch is Good Hardware™, but it tilts me to no end when Nintendo fans hand-wave away the inability to run 1080p at decent frame rates and then excuse the lack of on system voice chat by citing that it’s not technically capable of doing so.

This might be true, but since Splatoon 2 is already gating off voice chat to friends only, it seems nuts to restrict it even further. Miiverse is gone, so there isn’t even any way to share your freakishly long friend code with strangers who may or may not be child molesters on the system anymore.

tl;dr: Nintendo has always been tone deaf when it comes to online services, and despite reaching out to DeNA for their Nintendo Account system, it still has its own bag of idiosyncracies. It’s the iCloud of gaming.

3 Likes

Whoa, hey now

the Wii U had usernames instead of friend codes

if anything, they’ve regressed!

I seriously don’t see why this mixer is an issue if you’re playing portable, and the people complaining about this option for docked play seem a bit… early. with that said, if you’re all seriousface about this and you want headphones, TV/monitor and voice chat, yeah, you probably have a right to be pissed.

also no one is talking about how ARMS is 1080p 60 fps LOCKED

I still don’t understand how six months ago everyone was acting like ARMS was just a shitty Wii game and now everyone except me thinks it is the coolest thing

1 Like

I always had faith, always

I immediately saw what they were doing and the Testpunch has vindicated my insanity

Twintelle’s ass

1 Like