Switch! (Part 1)

the eshop, and digital ownership in general, is so much better on the Switch as to render previous storefronts the obvious mistakes they clearly were to everyone with access to any other storefront. I’ll probably go mostly digital on the Switch because 1)using microSD means expanding is cheap (you hear that Sony, no proprietary bullshit) and 2)apparently buying something to your Switch buys it for all accounts, which is confusing but also I don’t mind

1 Like

They even let you merge in the balance from your Nintendo Network account with your regular Nintendo account now. Of course the fact that those two account types ever existed remains a fiasco but at least you can see they’re finally serious.

1 Like

I’d love to be hopeful that Nintendo is changing their ways but then they do a thing like discontinue the NES Classic and it’s hard to give them any slack. I wonder if I’d feel as wary of Nintendo if I weren’t a reformed fanboy from back in the day.

If Nintendo wasn’t conservative about demand estimates, the Wii U’s flop would have driven them into bankruptcy, so I don’t expect them to change that part of their corporate character anytime soon.

Anyway I don’t see the connection between that and their poor online identity management. Cherrypicking the news of the day about a large company to create extremely vague narratives of good or evil (usually evil) is a particularly pointless exercise.

what is it with the NES Classic

is it a neat toy designed as a nostalgia play on the general populace or is it a useless, expensive device in the days of 40 buck Raspberry Pi’s and an SD card big enough to hold the entire NES/FC library

yes, it’s both, but odds are if you think the latter, why do you care that it exists to begin with

4 Likes

It looks like a tiny NES though.

3 Likes

Same reason they could probably still sell out of GBA Micros even without games.

1 Like

I bought an NES classic because I’m a sucker, but I actually am extremely glad I did! The fact that it “looks like a tiny NES though” is a big deal. It’s a cute piece of industrial design. Plus, the emu quality is top-notch, with better latency than say, any previous Virtual Console. The system menu and more importantly system music are really good, etcetera

Basically if they’d been in stock I would probably have gotten at LEAST three as Christmas presents for my non-gamer family members and I have a hunch they would all have loved it.

Does anyone thihnk maybe Nintendo is working on a follow-up? Maybe an NES Classic Edition 2 (with different games), or an SNES Classic? In that case, then using the limited run to build hype for a (presumably) longer-running line of novelty consoles makes more sense. It’s still manipulative and shitty, but at least there’s some sort of logic there.

If they’re doing any kind of followup, I’m inclined to think it would either be a bigger version (ie more games) or an online service, like they’re planning with the Switch. Part of me suspects the jailbreaking on the Mini will be on their minds.

Welp, I bought one of these things today. I had to fiddle around with wireless security settings because apparently these things are very specific about what kind of wifi connection they allow or something.

Then the connection was broken when the system update was near completion, but luckily it didn’t have to redownload the whole thing

Konami heard my cries:

The patch notes only mention AI modifications for “Easy” and “Normal,” which means the campaign mode, when the real problem is the godlike AI in multi mode :C

Patching in 60 fps takes Bomberman from “what the fuck is this bullshit” to “I will drunkenly buy this when it’s on sale”

4 Likes

I was intending to buy that game, assuming it was actually in stock anywhere. But looks like most switch games that aren’t zelda or 1,2,switch have gone the way of the NES mini over here

MK8DX is MK8 on the Switch

Pros:

• Is portable now
  • 200cc is unlocked from the start

Cons:

• They didn’t fix that bug where the crazy sax theme for Dolphin Shoals only plays for half the track

I heard you can time trial at 200cc please confirm thank you.

i heard that too

can’t do ranked online 200 though ;__;

I’m into this! The texture on the back looks to be the same as the handle on the pro controller.

wait, are they selling you an AA BATTERY EXPANSION PACK

how does this 1990 playbook keep working for them.

4 Likes

I just consulted Google and it appears there is a 200cc time trial, character and part stats have been tweaked, and there are no more acceleration tiers. So now I want a Switch but there aren’t any, which is probably for the best.