Switch! (Part 1)

Here’s a thing, I guess

Nintendo Plans Switch Model With Bigger Samsung OLED Display - Bloomberg

2 Likes

Ready for this purely speculative quote from Bloomberg to get repeated as rumor

“The release of a more premium version of Nintendo’s Switch console with an OLED display and support for 4K graphics for the holiday 2021 selling season could drive the company’s sales above consensus for the fiscal year ending March 2022 and extend the life cycle of the Switch platform for many more years.”

A lineup of 5.5", 6.2", and 7" is such classic Nintendo handheld hair-splitting

6 Likes

botw 2 :’(

sick another piece of hardware nobody will be able to buy

3 Likes

I’m just hoping that this will somehow push the price on used Switches down to around $200

1 Like

I really don’t know what the market is for an incrementally better switch. like, I would love an oled switch, it’s a no brainer, but am I paying $350-400 to upgrade to it? of course not. I guess it’s sort of a low risk thing for them, since a reliable portion of nintendo fans will buy it automatically and nintendo never releases hardware that they lose money on, so sure, whatever. just wish they went all out and made something actually worth it instead. and you know they’re not going to touch the joycons.

I’m in the market for a Switch that takes over the playing Switch games part and frees my launch system to just be a mobile homebrew platform

1 Like

The market

2 Likes

The many people on Twitter I’m seeing so relieved that they can finally play switch games in 4K because they look like shit on their TVs are from a different world than me

16 Likes

switch “4k”

1 Like

This sounds like the DS lite of the Switch to me. Nicer-feeling all around, probably will drop to the same price sooner rather than later and will rapidly become the one most people have.

2 Likes

The Xbox One S “outputs” 4K and the PS5 “outputs” 8K in the way this new Switch supports 4K

2 Likes

I’m glad I found this tweet in Wario64’s replies

10 Likes

my TV is 4K but does 1080p pretty well so…i’m happy that whatever this update is, it’s more about the visuals than say, a boost in processor power or something, and so i can ignore it. if they release a Switch that lets me play the Links Awakening remake in 60FPS, then maybe i’d buy one and actually finish that game.

3 Likes

Another win for me being unable to care about 60fps.

4 Likes

my only real complaint with the existing switch is the load times
and having to buy a dpad joycon maybe

2 Likes

I am actively hostile to the idea of an OLED display, I don’t care about TV output resolution because I will never play this on a TV, I literally just want the existing Switch Lite with no joystick drift

1 Like

why tho

1 Like

the Switch runs Wii U games really well, so I guess your best bet is to wait for whatever comes after the Switch

2 Likes
  • Burn-in is an undesirable trait for devices which feature UI elements (especially ones that are persistent) like phones, computers, and consoles
  • Uneven colour distribution causes the sub pixels to age at different rates, and a strong bias towards any of the RGB colours cause visibly tinted splotches on your screen which is gross
  • Having a range of displays to target with wildly different colour reproduction attributes makes it challenging to master content that displays as intended on all of them

yeah I’m a picky asshole who hates everything, but you should know this about me by now (don’t get me started on the pentile shit)

8 Likes