Switch! (Part 1)

Plug in a DS4 and set it up via the Steam controller bindings now that it has DS4 mapping support

You can even turn on gyro mouse emulation so you can do fine aiming and actually hit things

use a trackball

1 Like

I want the Switch to have a nicer screen. It is notably worse than the Vita screen in viewing angles and color reproduction and black levels. Do you think it will get a refresh like every mobile Nintendo console gets, or will it be static like Nintendo’s home consoles?

I think it’ll probably get a refresh to the next major Tegra shrink but that’ll be like three years; there’s really not enough wrong with the hardware right now, even if the screen is only OK

https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/627456486963559674/

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/740969/cs-go-analog-stick-problem/

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3283185

etc.

go into Big Picture Mode, go to the controller setup screen, turn on DS4 support

you can now right click any game in your library from the standard Steam interface, select “Edit Steam Controller Configuration” and set custom binds

here’s a screenshot of a generic setup screen from me selecting CS 1.6, a game that doesn’t support gamepads at all (AFAIK)

since the DS4 is literally treated as a Steam Controller by Valve, you can go into community setups and just steal one for your own use and editing instead of setting it all up yourself

edit: yes, you’re emulating KBM and not getting native pad support, but it’s better than nothing. also note that Steam can act as an Xinput wrapper for your DS4 now

3 Likes

thanks for giving the answer that the internet wouldn’t. I will try this tomorrow.

1 Like

Might be too big though.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03/19/nier-automata-director-yoko-taro-like-new-ps-vita-successor/

I wonder if the next 3DS will be a smaller Switch without dock and detachable controllers.

honestly that seems like a terrible idea. the switch is not that huge and I don’t think nintendo can or should sustain two platforms anymore

But if it’s a Switch mini? Same hardware, fewer features.

oh! maybe, yeah. they probably couldn’t shrink the screen more than an inch without running up against assumptions made by developers about font legibility at a given DPI, but I guess that’d work. hell, it could still have an HDMI out and accept connections from other controllers.

Would it be possible for a Switch+ to be released when the Tegra 2 is released? I mean, would it be possible to turn TheNintendoConsole into a series of year iPhone-y type upgrades?

the Tegra X2 is already pretty much available and nintendo forewent it because 20nm -> 16nm would’ve been pretty modest

but if they ship an X2+ or an X3 on the 10nm node that everyone seems to like for ARM, in a few years, yeah, no reason why not

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I meant.

3DS has a couple more years in it, but it’s soaking up development resources and exclusives that could help the Switch out a lot. Like, where’s the next Pokemon gonna land? Cross-generational release on both platforms?

Not convinced the Switch is quite handy enough of a handheld to converge the markets and supplant the 3DS as is. Though my doubt might be unfounded, Japanese people on cramped subways will have to be the judge of that. Or maybe all these handhelds aren’t played on subways, I actually have no idea about Japanese gamer habits.

That’s a bummer. How’s visibility outside? I can only use my Wii U at night, because the awful screen’s only good as a mirror during the day.

i’m waiting for them to inevitably release a Switch XL for people like me w/ giant clumsy hamhocks for hands

3 Likes

Yeah, I forgot to praise Nintendo for genuinely doing a nice job with the hardware on the first time out, avoiding mistakes like the volume control placement on the 3DS XL

It was my friend’s Switch and I used it at night so I can’t answer that, but I’d assume it’d be fine. It’s still a marked step up from the n3DS screen. It’s also much nicer than the Wii U padscreen. It’s not that it’s at all bad, it’s just not as sparklingly nice as it could be / the Vita is / other aspects of the Switch are.

The 3ds has maybe a year left dog. The only major on the horizon is MonHunXX.

and one more smt!!!

maybe

There’s some other stuff coming out too, like Fire Emblems, a Yoshi thing, a Pikmin thing, a Mario sports thing. It’s clearly nearing EOL but it sure isn’t dead yet.

Neo Turf Masters is coming to Switch. It’s probably gonna be a shit port but who’s gonna buy it and play with me, the future Greatest Neo Turf Masters Player of All times.

2 Likes