Switch! (Part 1)

is that ever going to happen though

do we need to make the worst controller ever conceived in order to half way cater to a niche scenario that the system probably can’t even render properly anyway

look at that thing in that guy’s hand. it’s like a third the size of an NES controller

It’s horrendous. I guess I said “has to” when I meant “does.”

They also work as motion controllers so you can “milk a cow.”

1 Like

the controllers do mostly feel like they make sense when they’re clipped onto the screen, at least. i’m not convinced about the grip thing yet though. it’s not that bad, at least?

Is the Nintendo Switch the first for-real game console to ship with a controller lacking a d-pad since the NES was released?

No: Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD. But other than that?

Those buttons are probably still better at dpad-y things than the Xbox360 dpad

2 Likes

final day one impressions: oh fuck, Zelda is great

the best part of the Switch is this smug lady telling you to update your system

6 Likes

I have pretty large hands that cramp up on everything from the DS lite forward, and the Joycons have been totally fine–at least on the face buttons and sticks. It’s actually the shoulder buttons that feel like a reach for me, though it’s tough to say how that’s gonna pan out since they don’t get pressed in Zelda very much. And those shoulder buttons feel as awkward to reach as the shoulders on a 360 controller for my hands.

The range of motion near the center of the analog sticks feels sorta muddy? Kinda like how it’s hard to do fine movements on a Saturn 3D controller near the center because you can feel the resistance springing near the deadzone. Kinda makes it hard to aim the bow, but it is probably the best analog stick thing I’ve used on a device that’s meant to be used as a portable so that’s definitely a plus.

1 Like

I actually really like the joy-con grip. Breath of the Wild is truly fucking sick.

1 Like

Here’s where I tell you that if the 360 shoulder buttons are hard for you to reach, you don’t have big hands. My fingers naturally go past them. To the point where I am usually hitting them with the middle of my finger.

This is what I meant by not being able to reach them. Gotta make a weird claw so resting my hand on the bumpers is awkward.

Ah OK, makes a bit more sense then. I was thinking “holy shit do I have like the most giant hands?”

As a heads up, since visiting the stores of other regions is a thing now, the Mexican eShop has all of Shovel Knight for 12 bucks

I took the account I made for the Japanese eShop, changed the region, went in, bought it and changed the region on it back to Japan with no issues in minutes

I’m legitimately surprised at how well Nintendo did this

tl;dr: right Joy-Con has a dedicated Bluetooth antenna whereas left Joy-Con doesn’t, causing the wireless interference issues seen with the left Joy-Con during the review period

this is stupid

there’s my nintendo

I’m sure they’ll eventually fix it in a hardware revision but refuse to acknowledge that

1 Like

I hope they actually let us know when they do.

I remember looking at 360 serial numbers through the hole in the box to figure out which CPU revision they had.

obviously the left Joycon is fine and we’re just holding it wrong

Are they going to give out free joycondoms?

Edit: relevant

hearing it bombed in the uk, unsurprising

I didnt get to buy one in Japan. But to echo boojiboy I am on the complete opposide of the hand size spectrum and the joycons looked terrible for me to hold.

That comparison pick with the dreamcast and ps4 does not change my mind.

I should play my vita more.

I got a chance to play around with the party game that I assume comes pre-packaged with the system. It felt very Just Dance-esque in aesthetic and mechanically a novelty but not much more than that. Good to play a couple times with friends (which we did) but there’s no replayability backing it. Joycon’s being small didn’t affect how the games played but they were never in the classic configuration either.

Beyond Breath of the Wild there’s…nothing else I’m particularly interested in for quite some time, huh.