Switch! (Part 1)

My Switch got delayed in shipment and I won’t get it until Monday, urghhhh

Which is fine because I have no time to play it anyway but urghhhhh come on

There is a weird duality to my desire/disinterest for this system.

I’ll probably get it if there’s a monster hunter with assets made for a post PS2 world.

2 Likes

Live-ass fresh impressions: holy shit this thing is tiny and the joycons are tiny and I went from not having access to the Japanese eShop to downloading Japanese demos in a minute

protip: if you play with a friend, take the right joycon

1 Like

This was my impression when I saw one in a glass case in Tokyo, and like I don’t know if my hands can do that.

I’m not quite to the level of poor Vinny and his bear claws up there, but I can nearly cover a whole joycon with my thumb and I don’t have especially large hands. Or maybe I do and I don’t know it.

they’re small

Yeah, like they make the GBA Micro look generous in size, or are about comparable. My thumbs would easily cover the whole thing. Looking at them in person gave me carpal tunnel twinges.

1 Like

I hope there’s an XL version that’s 8-10" with Wii-remote-sized joycons. I have no interest in this thing as a TV console.

I can’t imagine why they looked at the Wii remote and said, “…smaller.”

So uh, are they gonna release a normal controller for this thing? Like a Switch Pro Controller

Yeah, that exists, it’s $70 lol

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-pro-wireless-controller-for-nintendo-switch/5748618.p?skuId=5748618

Grr

The Pro controller is unfortunately overstuffed, with both cool stuff (hell yeah, a gyro) and stupid stuff (no, I don’t need a NFC chip in every controller Nintendo, thanks)

In a surprising discovery, the Switch has some basic HDMI CEC functionality; this is implied in the system settings, where it’ll cryptically match your TV’s “power state” (as in if you turn your TV off, it’ll go to sleep), but also if you dock it, it turns everything in the chain on

I’m mainly pointing this out because we have a Nintendo system that’s half a portable with HDMI control options while the Xbone, initially touted as an all-in-one media box, is still rocking the IR blaster

1 Like

This is my friend code. Add me.

SW-7011-1439-9716

I made the mistake of buying Snipperclips and have no one to play with.

I also think I hate the neon and wish I’d gotten gray. The colors are nice but the asymmetry is upsetting me.

1 Like

the important questions answered:

6 Likes

What can you gleam from comparing the worst cramp makers?

2 Likes

The not-dpad is good enough to play Tetris, but probably not at an intense level

I haven’t it used the Joycons with grip much of anything because I waited like, 4 hours for Zelda to download and now I’m hungry and want to watch some TV

wow that is way smaller than i imagined it. what are the dimensions of the screen?

what the fuck is that dpad

actually

what the fuck is that controller

It has to split into two miniature controllers with a stick and four face buttons each, so it’s silly.

why

I’m so sorry you had to find out this way.

1 Like