Switch! (Part 1)

I have played Zelda “50 hours or more” and Lego City Undercover and Mighty Gunvolt Burst “For a little while” each.

Do the upgraded arms actually work as such in ranked matches though? I thought I heard somewhere they didn’t

i’m really bad at the mini game to get more arms (and the regular one it’s based off of). i did the medium timer and got 1 new ARMS. then i watched someone on youtube get 11 ARMS on the same timer.

i’m really bad at arms guys, i’m sad about it

1 Like

I honestly have no idea. I haven’t unlocked any upgraded ones and when I tried to find “tech” for the game a few weeks back I came up short. It was a lotta people talking about like…how cute characters were, and how Ribbon Girl is “OP”. Maybe I was looking in the wrong circles but it didn’t seem like many people with a history of competitive FGs were actually playing the game.

After that Pokken burn, I would not be surprised if the US fighters were just peaced out on Nintendo.

What burn exactly? As a game it did most things right, no annoying unlockables or level ups in proper multiplayer modes, assists were set and nothing to set up in game. The only thing against it was the physical set up required to run it in tournaments.

Never played it myself but I think I might dive in on the switch version. Empoleon and Scizor were my faves when I tried pokemon for the last time.

They kept releasing additional characters for the arcade version that never left Japan, but not putting them out on the Wii U version, but then having international tournaments that used the arcade build, meaning that there were several characters that the American players never got to touch or even fight against that they would have to compete against in tournaments. They could have just DLCed these characters, but instead have held them off for the Switch version of the game, after successfully killing the scene in the US by not supporting the original version.

Not to mention that I recall hearing that Nintendo wasn’t providing any support at all for people trying to get tournaments going in the US, so it just faded out.

Sure, but simplifying geometry or shaders is tricky, labor-intensive and the impact on both appearance and performance of particular scenes is complicated and unpredictable. If you need to cut your GPU budget late in development, reducing resolution is a simple dial you can just turn and you know exactly what you get.

So you’re basically asking for games to be planned out better around performance constraints far ahead of time, and for studios to have better integration between their tech and art teams. Of course they should, but game production being the chaos that it is, I don’t expect that to happen too often and this problem is the least of it really.

I just picked up the Switch version of Tumbleseed. It has a very cool console-exclusive feature - the game is all about tilting a surface to roll a ball around, and the Switch’s HD rumble is used to represent the motion of the ball. It’s not mind-blowing, but it does work quite well and actually makes the game feel more responsive to control. When you play in handheld mode, it pulls off a reasonably convincing simulacrum of the feel of a real ball rolling around inside the console.

I’ve only just begun playing, but the game seems like a solid roguelite with a really beautiful aesthetic.

2 Likes

I can’t beat the snow (4th) mountain so I’ve just moved on to playing the roguelike mode

oh so the switch version of tumbleseed actually uses the gyro stuff? after seeing the game was coming out on other platforms, I got discouraged at the thought that maybe it didn’t use gyro at all.

Well, there aren’t any tilt controls, sadly. That’d be a fun option. Instead, however, you use the left and right analog sticks to control the angle of the platform, with the HD rumble providing physical feedback. It still feels good though. I’m supposed to be asleep but I keep playing the damn thing, so it’s definitely working on me.

I can’t even have this one dang thing. Video games…!!

4 Likes

Tumbleseed actually isn’t analog.

:thinking:

1 Like

Did they photoshop ice cream into his hand?

So I’ve never played Splatoon before and I’m trying out the Splatoon 2 demo right now. Is this game supposed to feel like complete ass, or am I playing it wrong? Floaty jumps, piddly starting gun, aiming is awkward to the extreme… I don’t get it.

I’ve tried turning motion controls off and that helps a little bit, but it’s still really fiddly and difficult.

just start flipping around and throwing grenades, that’s how i started having fun with it

you need a full team of four to play together in splatfest? are other people gonna get this next week??

oh I love the Destiny PvP meta

1 Like

Alright, I’m starting to get used to the controls and it is growing on me slightly. Wish they didn’t start you off with the worst feeling gun ever. Anyone have any tips on the best way to play this game?