Switch! (Part 1)

Anyway, yeah, that makes sense because what’s special about the game controller situation is that the console vendors have very little interest in making them work on Windows. So it falls to the open source community to make them work, but they don’t have as smooth a path to do so on Windows (c.f. unsigned drivers).

And yes, that very much includes Xbox team, MS’s internal divisions are showing here. Xbox controllers are even the worst supported of all because the open source community assumes MS will take care of it, but they don’t, not very well anyway. Xbox360 controllers do not work at all on Windows 8, for example.

On Windows you’re best off getting something like a Logitech in terms of ease of setup, since Logitech is interested in making it work properly. But I don’t want a Logitech because their thumbsticks can be questionable and I have so many console controllers already. So, I’m coming to these USB console controller adapters, which are well-supported and allow me to use the controller I want to.

yup. I haven’t found 360 controller support to be particularly poor myself, but I do have some old mayflash hardware (for connecting GC/PS2/Xbox-era controllers) that’s always worked very well. they’re actually quite a good vendor, I don’t think they get the benefit of the doubt they should as they’re usually sold alongside flashcarts and whatnot.

although the only questionable part of that stuff is usually their approach to UI development, and when the controllers simply work at the driver level they dodge that issue completely.

1 Like

Mayflash usually has the good sense to include a directinput/xinput switch on the hardware.

I’m curious what’s giving y’all trouble with Xbox controllers but I guess I don’t usually play old stuff on PC with controllers often.

I’m also wondering what kind of trouble people have been having with controllers. I’ve been using wireless 360 controllers with Windows since the 360 came out and I have literally never had a problem with them, ever

My main problem has been that the 360 controllers simply do not show up in the “Game Controllers” menu, with no discernible reason and not much help about it online. It may be a Windows 8 and above problem, or some other quirk of my setup (32-bit vs 64-bit Windows?).

I’m really curious why you’re using 8 over 10

I guess I just have some kind of magic luck with controllers in this 360/PS4/Bone world. Tbh the only thing I’m looking for is a modern version of Joy2Key.

Antimicro?

That’s cool but it sounds like the reverse of what I want in this particular case

Steam Big Picture Mode

yes you have to run Big Picture Mode to actually get things started, but after that, free binds!

1 Like

This:

I mean probably not really but I’ve been playing chrono cross and stardew valley on mine and it’s pretty great

4 Likes

How heavy is it? Really interested in something like this for retro gaming.

I’ll tell you exactly when I get home I a few days, but I’d estimate 1.5 pounds. It feels about the same as the first DS

The website said it was 300 grams which I think converts to like 10.5 ounces.

1 Like

I’m bad at estimating

Edit:for comparison the original DS was 275 grams

Not too bad. Might be getting one of these in the future then. Thanks for the info!

Rumor says Dark Souls 3 on Switch. Possible trilogy sku

1 Like

that’d be a get!

1 Like

if they just announce what fromsoft game is coming to switch ill almost definitely buy one, it could even just be a scholar of the first sin port and id still do it

2 Likes

Yeah I’d buy one almost immediately if that was true.

On PC controllers apparently none of you have tried to play CSGO with a controller where they said they knew there was a problem with all controllers and a patch was coming 3 years ago. You can put any combination of kind of controller and CSGO into a search engine and get an endless stream of use a keyboard noob.

Look assholes I am an old man and want to shoot literal nazis with my friends not scream in pain from using a mouse and keyboard after 45 minutes.

1 Like