SUSPIRIA

This looks pretty boring to me. The original Suspiria was colorful, hip, fun as hell and didnā€™t really care what you thought of it. This remake looks dreary, grim, and monochromatic in comparison. Itā€™s not trying to break any horror mold or stand out in any way. Itā€™s trying to be a dour, respectable horror movie.

We have plenty of those already. I was hoping that remaking Suspiria would at least provide an opportunity for something truly flamboyant to hit the mainstream horror cinema scene.

3 Likes

i wasnā€™t a big fan of the original suspiria, so iā€™m willing to give this a shot, but it does look just a little bit sterile and bland.

give me a couple of million dollars and some cameras and iā€™ll remake phenomena with jennifer connelly as frau bruckner. at least a few thousand is going to go towards neon orange blood.

5 Likes

Music by Thom Yorke is bumming me out

1 Like

goblin or get fuuuucked

edit:

fuck it, hereā€™s some more gobbo:

(this one inspired Clock Towerā€™s OST)

my favorite:

8 Likes

Phenomena soundtrack is so fun when incongruously used inā€¦the movie it was composed for. That first moonlit nightwalk just busts open and I see the genesis of Castlevania and, oh man,

6 Likes

Deep Red is really underrated, I think itā€™s one of Argentoā€™s best.

3 Likes

This looks hot, It would be so easy to fall into the trap of trying to replicate the aesthetic of the original but Iā€™m happy itā€™s doing its own thing.

Whoa, this looks like a much more straight ahead remake than I had expected.

Remember the NES Duck Tales remake guy saying that kids donā€™t like secret doors anymore? Suspiria is keeping the secret door.

Will the killer slinky room scene trigger amazon suggestions for various slinky products?

1 Like

just entering this thread to say tenebre is one of the most genius genre deconstructions ever made. thanks. and inferno is also really good aside from the endless bag full of cats scene

At least compared to many films in the modern arthouse of horror, it does look capable of having more shrill and ā€œthis is uh avant-garde?ā€ moments than (some) audiences are used to.

Guess itā€™s kinda hard to expect the campier surrealty of the original to be present, but the lack of striking COLOR and jaggedness between shots, that seems like a big loss.

Whereas the original felt off all the way through this might just lean and drop hard. Iā€™ll be giving it a theater watch for sure though.

Shoulda seen Goblin w/Secret Chiefs 3 in 2013 fuck.

1 Like

Goblin and Secret Chiefs played the same night as Lee Renaldoā€™s first post-SY solo tour date here and as a result only 6 people showed up for Lee. It was weird.

Yeeeoowch thatā€™s a real rough kick-off night. I donā€™t know his side of the overlap very well but Iā€™m kinda surprised there was such a large one. Whereabouts you be?

Detroit. The local weirdo base was totally not in effect except for a dude who I know does not have a car. Goblin was way out in the suburbs.

is it going to be a one-off, or are there plans to redo the other two as well?

Guadagnino has mentioned wanting to do a sequel and Iā€™d imagine Inferno would serve as an influence if it happens.

1 Like

Tilda Swinton had the prop department make a prosthetic dick to better method act a fictional actor for for this movie.

1 Like