Steven Universe, don't tumblr my rocks!

Lapis episodes coming up it seems. I still don’t get why she seems to have had such a large fanbase prior. She’s been portrayed as kind of moody throughout. Guessing there’s just not a lot of choice?
If we’re fan theorizing then mine is that she contributed more to Malachite’s destructive personality then we’ve been led to believe. That’d make her a bit more interesting at least.

Hoping then that the second to last episode of this show is a brief glimpse into the alternate timeline where Peridot, Jasper and Lapis are Steven’s original caretakers that slowly runs out of animation budget

1 Like

Lapis is an interesting character. She’s kind of got that whole Disney Princess, damsel-in-distress thing going on, despite clearly having powers far greater than most of the characters we’ve encountered so far. She’s sympathetic to Steven, even though she’s mainly been an opponent. Combined with the fact that she’s the first gem introduced outside of the five Crystal Gems, it doesn’t surprise me that so many people were intrigued by her.

As far as baseless fan speculation is concerned, one of my favorite things to do so far is to compare the palette of the characters to different pride flags and see what sort of parallels show up. Amethyst, for example, is pretty close to the Asexual Pride flag, which is interesting and seems to fit with her focus on raw physical sensations rather than any sort of overt sexuality. Pearl matches up well with one of the transgender pride flags, which goes well with her whole identity being contrary to her intended design. Jasper’s a dead ringer for the Bear Brotherhood, which is all about being big and having a lot of hair. Lapis, however: her colors only really come close to matching up with the blue-and-black portion of the leather pride flag, which sees some association and use within the BDSM community, and this IS the character who has spent the vast majority of her time either imprisoned or imprisoning someone else. Really curious where they’re going to go with her now that the Malachite arc is over.

1 Like

another really good episode. i can’t wait for the inevitable sentai universe

they built up to the jersey joke for two seasons and it totally paid off.

If you’re impatient like me, France is airing the remaining episodes for this event this weekend, in English. Two today, last tomorrow. the new episodes rule hard and i highly recommend them! they are very funny and sweet! man, Rubies are dumb

I’m really loving having Lapis be part of the day to day insanity.

Hit The Diamond was amazing. Amazing. I cannot wait for these episodes to show up on Amazon Instant Watch so I can show Julie.

god, they are really hitting it out of the park with this season

“i saw this as a possibility, but i am surprised that this is the path we’re taking”

i missed this before so i’ll just leave it here in case other people did too:

1 Like

Yeah, that might be my favorite episode? It was great.

Lapis being part of the main cast makes choosing a favorite gem really hard : (

Just occurred to that having a silly reason to dedicate a whole episode to playing baseball just makes this show even more anime.

2 Likes

Still say Lapis is a bad egg but look forward to seeing her be roomies with Peridot. Seems like they’re gonna be benched for probably a while now. Saw someone describe them as maybe taking the roles of the Outer Senshis, only showing from time to time when needed which would work. The cast is getting pretty big and especially so if you count the citizens of Beach City. Tough to split the screen time up in 10 minute episodes when Steven at all times must be somewhere in the frame. Poor Connie.

Wondering where the show goes now. Are we just going to have a few Beach City citizens of the week (or more probable: “month”) again? Seeing a lot of people dreading this “filler” and in some ways I understand it. The show really wants to balance slice of life stuff with big plot dumps but the scheduling just kills it. Every new episode is so precious and when one disappoints because it focuses on Ronaldo or Onion or something instead of the space aliens seeking redemption for their fascist homeworld’s imperial exploitation it becomes such a buzzkill. Especially when the next episode’s ETA is at “Never”.

Even when show does get a decent pace going what is even the point. Was anybody actually satisfied with the ending to the whole Cluster arc? I mean, I liked it in theory but 3 months between episodes that were actually building momentum!

https://twitter.com/mobigem_/status/734677528414019585

but most importantly, when’s Bismuth?

The scheduling is a bummer, yeah. This is clearly a show made to be aired weekly, and maybe rewatched in short bursts.
CN got a little hooked on the stevenbombs, what with the bountiful viewer numbers and ratings.

Wasn’t nuts about Gem Drill. Some solid Peridot, pretty okay concept for the cluster, then it just sorta wandered aimlessly for a while before resolving without issue.

Really liked Lapis’ episode, Same Old World, though. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Really can’t wait for you to see the next couple of episodes. So good.

1 Like

please watch this episode it’s sheer delight

1 Like

that’s my fave team of storyboarders

Yeah Johnston/Liu rule, their episodes are exquisitely paced and witty and they do the best action scenes. They and Florido/Zuke are my favorites.

Hit the Diamond is GOAT. This must be how you wrestling dudes felt with Tiger Millionaire.

1 Like