Got a selection of GOOD STEALS on sale, stranger! (Part 1)

And Brandon Sheffield’s Gunhouse dang it!

3 Likes

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is one of the Xbone free games for February. First half of the month is Bloodstained on the XBoxOne side and Assacre: Rogue as the 360 game, and then second half is Bomberman R for Xbone and Jedi Academy or something on 360.

Bloodstained is available already, despite it not bein February yet, though, so that’s cool.

It’s really odd that just as Sony is ramping down legacy console support in its subscription bonus Microsoft has set tracks to amp up with monetizable backwards compatibility. Good on them.

3 Likes

Halfway through every console generation:

Wtf I love [the company trailing in marketshare]

9 Likes

in fairness, Microsoft is absolutely not actively supporting the 360 at this point, and PS3 backwards compatibility on the PS4 is definitely not possible

the only really anticonsumer thing Sony is still doing in my book is their refund policy

Idk I saw a physical copy of Skate 3 at Target that said I could play it on a 360 or a Bone which is amazing

1 Like

you can also (as of this month) play it on your computer if you have at least 6 cores!

but yeah I’ve said multiple times now that console-exclusive EA stuff is what I miss most from no longer having PS3 hardware until it’s emulated better

1 Like

Also no PS1/PS2 emu is the thing with Sony - absolutely no technical reason and their comments/strategy around remasters are disheartening. I had a bunch of digital PS1 and PS2 games I assumed would carry forward.

2 Likes

yes I’m just glad that I became sufficiently set in my ways in 1998 that I’d never pay a company for individual emulation licenses

Not to stan too hard but that’s the great thing about the 360/OG implementation. I showed a friend Revengeance and she was like oh man I wanna play that. She got a disc copy for less than $10 used and it works in her XB1.

The backwards compatibility is nearly the only thing that would make me consider getting an Xbone now (but I won’t because I barely play my PS4 anyway)

1 Like

yup, point taken. I don’t have that many friends who I both a) talk about games with and b) feel compelled to recommend low effort solutions to.

anyway, the impossibility of implementing PS3 backwards compatibility with reasonable performance expectations without a CPU that’s ~3x as powerful as the PS4’s is definitely the legacy of the Cell. the Cell is, after all, just about as powerful as the PS4 CPU (depending on workload they’re both about equal to a 2007 Core 2 Quad).

1 Like

as we learned to our chagrin when we first got the heavily physics- and AI-based, lightly threaded Galak-Z game first running on PS4

“this CPU is gonna kill us”

and it did!

2 Likes

The microwave with Alexa must be the personal vindicating obsession of a few weirdos at SCEI and Microsoft alike.

1 Like

if Sony is sweating enough (which I doubt), the Ryzen thing they ship in PS5 should be just enough to healthily clear current RPCS3 requirements

being able to announce at E3 a couple years into its lifespan that whammo, it can now emulate all physical playstation media every released, have fun, would be a pretty good feature to keep in their pocket if they’re ever on their back foot

I wonder if the upgrade fatigue roiling phones (good!) will hit consoles - why’s this better than my PS4 Professional? You mean I have to get a Super Nintendo?

2 Likes

yeah the PS5 looks very … ordinary on paper, spec-wise, and even though the PS4 wasn’t in a significantly different position and it still made a big difference for that to become the new baseline for what cross-platform titles were capable of &c. &c., there’s so little they’d expect to massively overhaul this time around (no new console interface, no new store, no new display/network technology, why bother) that I’m very curious to see what the hook winds up being

We’ve heard your cries and we’re proud to bring Cross…

MEDIA BAR to all Playstation consoles this fall!

4 Likes

the cynical michael thomsen argument would be that they’re no longer really concerned about delivering anything novel to a mainstream audience so they can just go higher and higher margin for enthusiasts and people will buy it just because it can stream in 4K or whatever

Sony has always had an abnormally healthy definition of what an “enthusiast” is, though; the relative mainstreaming of PSVR is a great example of that

1 Like

The upside of trading in my PS4 for four copies of Destiny 2 is that I have a comfortable cost barrier between me and the psychic harm that Death Stranding would cause me.