Got a selection of GOOD STEALS on sale, stranger! (Part 1)

The Boss Fights books bundle is going for a couple more days.

I was excited to read Spelunky and was interested in some of the other titles. I’m not sure I love this SMB3 book, though.

2 Likes

lemme knw how the ffv and kh2 books are

The ZZT book by Dessgeega is the only one of these that I have read. (I guess it’s not included in this deal.) I’d be curious to know whether the others are worth reading.

So far:

Spelunky by Derek Yu - Interesting insights into his design process and philosophy, but I kind of wanted something deeper still, and I think an editor might have been able to help him structure the book better and make it sing.

Super Mario Bros. 3 by Alyse Knorr - I’m about 20% of the way through the book and I am kinda baffled by it. Trivia interspersed with personal anecdotes as far as I can tell, in a completely incoherent structure. It might get better and more focused later on, but in the first couple chapters I have no idea page to page what the contours of this thing are, and I don’t know what its value is to anyone who’s played the game before.

Probs gonna read Chrono Trigger, FFV, and/or Shadow of the Colossus next.

1 Like

It is interesting to me how varied the works people produce with these books are. Some are extremely personal. Some are more historical. Some are more mechanical. They let Derek Yu write about his own game!

I only ever got part way into CT but I absolutely hated it. Read like it was written by one of those guys who says he’s a feminist because women in charge appeal to him sexually. Or one of those people who can’t seem to stop othering POC while talking about civil rights. Liberal discourse usually came up out of the blue while talking about stuff like the prehistoric era and monster village, so I’m willing to believe the author was new to the concepts and wanted to bring them up but couldn’t organically, but it was an awkward read overall.

2 Likes

just cause 3 is still the most underappreciated big-budget game of this generation and it’s currently $5

2 Likes

Dissidia for $15: https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1010515951035584514

oh thank god it’s out of stock

nyrb is having a half off sale

https://www.nyrb.com/collections/classics

2 Likes

I am very into posting non-game SB2-on-brand steals. I’ll be sure to post the next Verso sale.

9 Likes

4ever Transit Authority is free in Google Play if you want a neat little audio visual zone out toy on your phone. Protip: Turn the camera sensitivity all the way up in the settings menu.

One of the minor things I have trouble with in life is that I have no real way of finding book recommendations or ones that I may like and looking it the NYRB page is literally trying to judge a book by its cover/title, so on the off chance there are any there that anyone here feels are must reads (and are at least moderately easy to get into) I would appreciate hearing them.

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis is very funny and contains one of the best descriptions of a hangover I’ve come across:

“Dixon was alive again. Consciousness was upon him before he could get out of the way; not for him the slow, gracious wandering from the halls of sleep, but a summary, forcible ejection. He lay sprawled, too wicked to move, spewed up like a broken spider-crab on the tarry shingle of the morning. The light did him harm, but not as much as looking at things did; he resolved, having done it once, never to move his eyeballs again. A dusty thudding in his head made the scene before him beat like a pulse. His mouth has been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then as its mausoleum. During the night, too, he’d somehow been on a cross-country run and then been expertly beaten up by a secret police. He felt bad.”

2 Likes

Might be eu only but the following games are on ps4 for under a fiver each:

Kof97 global match
Kof98 ultimate match
Windjammers
Videoball
Jamestown+

Obviously there are more but I bought these ones.

1 Like

Verso has all its eBooks on sale for $1! https://www.versobooks.com/books

4 Likes

Barnes and Nobles doing the 50% off Criterion might I recommend

Kill!
Blow Out
World on a Wire

And we all own Hausu right?

5 Likes

why are you doing this to me

1 Like

They didn’t have Touch of Zen on blu-ray, so I went for World on a Wire based solely on your recommendation and a still I saw online of cool helmets. Another dude who was browsing the aisle warned me that I was jumping into the deep end if I hadn’t seen any of that director’s other stuff.