sports game save files (METAL VIJAY RISING: REVENGEANCE)

PART 0: VIJAY ORIGINS

since I’ve been obsessed with cricket recently, I was looking to see if there were any good cricket video games. there aren’t a ton - the latest is Big Ant’s title Cricket 22 (following up on their previous Cricket 19 and Ashes Cricket 17).

I really play sports games for the season-over-season narrative possibilities. I’ve created an all-rounder player — he’s a fast-medium swing bowler and traditional strokeplayer going by the extremely old-school Tamil name of

VEERAPANDIAN VIJAY

i’ve given him big biceps and a very formidable mustache. he bats wearing gold aviators and a sharp baseball cap instead of a helmet. he specializes in inswingers, outswingers, drives, and hooks, and bowls around 140kph at his peak.

my plan is to take him from the mean streets of Tirichirapalli to the Tamil Nadu team and eventually the Indian national team, where he will hopefully captain them to many Test match victories.

part 0

some info about the game first (edited from original post)

Vijay’s dreams of captaining India started off… slowly. In 2021, as a 19-year-old playing for Trichy district, he averaged a score of 15 in the lowest level of competition in the game. and his bowling wasn’t much better, with just 16 wickets in 16 matches.

He hovered around the same level in 2022, but his bowling improved considerably.

probably because I began simulating some of his bowling spells to get it over with. tfw the AI is better than you with your own player…

batting in this game is very hard, especially when your framerate dips below 30 (as mine did constantly). I found myself regularly unable to time the ball, so I eventually turned down the batting difficulty from Medium to Easy. (not my proudest gaming achievement…)

2021 high score: 51
2022 high score: 79*

2021 wickets: 16 in 16 matches
2022 wickets: 28 in 17 matches

2021 BBI: 2/22
2022 BBI: 5/13

eventually, after batting became EZ MODE, Vijay’s numbers improved greatly, and at age 21 he was finally on the cusp of playing for Tamil Nadu.
2023 numbers for Trichy:
Avg 31.81
High score 145* (my first century!)
31 wickets in 14 matches
BBI 5/15
BBM 7/62

being an all-rounder, Vijay’s selection to higher levels depends both on batting and bowling. At age 22, he ascended out of club cricket and was selected to the Tamil Nadu state team in Hazare Trophy and Ranji Trophy matches. (Indian state cricket)

Sachin Tendulkar debuted for Bombay at 14 and India at 16. Just, yknow, for comparison.

in a lot of ways, Vijay’s first couple of years were spent languishing in club cricket. but finally in 2024, it’s time to crack on at the state level… or is it?

there’s positives and negatives… on the positive, he became a regular contributor for Tamil Nadu in both batting and bowling.
Avg: 48 (across 14 First Class innings and 8 List A matches)
HS: 147
List A strike rate of 175.77
29 wickets in 10 FC matches
BBI 4/21

unfortunately, Vijay ran into some problems…

namely, between poor framerate and increasing the batting difficulty to Medium, I posted a string of poor scores. in 2024, they were restricted mainly to club matches: check that 9.89 average in the “Other” row.

that long dry spell between matches 26 and 54… That got Vijay dropped from the Ranji Trophy side — no more First Class matches for him.

In 2025, the problem spread to Tamil Nadu performances as well.

Averaging 8.80 (!) in T20 matches for Tamil Nadu

A shocking 2.67 (!!) for Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League

And finally, due to his failure to perform at the lowest level of competition, Vijay is dropped from the Tamil Nadu side altogether, and is struggling to see gametime even for Trichy.

sidenote: a little unrealistic for Pakistan Super League to be offering contracts to Indian players, not sure that’s allowed IRL due to politics… Indian players are banned from PSL and all other foreign T20 competitions, nor have Pakistani players ever played in the Indian Premier League…

actually maybe this is why I got dropped from Tamil Nadu…!! cricket 22 models corrupt and biased team selectors, 10/10 game

Luckily, when he was in a spell of good form, Vijay was offered a contract with the historic Middlesex County Cricket Club, playing in Division 1 of English county cricket. They surely think they’ve made a huge mistake by now. But Vijay packs his bags and heads to London, determined to play his way back into India from the outside…