Sonic Mania

6 Likes

I got to play Sonic Mania for about an hour today and it’s so disgustingly good I was a little emotionally overwhelmed

3 Likes

Jensen never asked for this tho.

2 Likes

i did! it took reading what you’re supposed do in one of the mags that month

i also remember looking at the zone maps printed in there and wondering why there was so much stuff you obviously couldn’t get to behind unbreakable walls etc, finding it so weird/cool that they’d done some level design in places you couldn’t possibly get to

good lightbulb moment when i read about & knuckles later that year

1 Like

i too got suck on the barrel

I could literally only pass the barrels by jumping from the highest point of the stage and then landing on it to get enough momentum to make it move out of the way.

Or the Bubble Shield and using that to bounce it up and down.

The world before the internet was rough.

Now that I think about it, as a kid it never really stood out to me as being awkward because the entire game (Sonic 3) had lots of not-great level design. I’d play the S&K stages over S3 any day.

2 Likes

THOUGHTS

The Sonic CD level sucks just like Sonic CD does, and the boss is tedious. The music is cool, though.

I laughed out loud when I got to the Chemical Plant boss.

I’ve found 5 giant rings so far

The Press Garden is beautiful, especially the second act. Also Studiophoilios or what ever it’s called.

I glitched on the Sonic CD level mid-boss and had to wait for time to run out to try again since it was impossible to get hit. More reason to hate the Sonic CD level

I haven’t seen the bosses as puzzles, so far it’s always been immediately obvious what to do. Well okay, within like 5 seconds.

In conclusion this is a good game

The Metal Sonic boss gave me some issues too, mostly that I was killing the smaller ones while thinking that I had to wait for the boss to drop his guard or whatever.

The one that gave me the most trouble though was the Octopus Boss for some reason, I think I was just being sloppy which is common for me and Sonic games.

3 Likes

The clock hand in the intro before they start the race reads “1 2 3 K M”. Subtle snub to CD? Establishing Mania as the true successor?

1 Like

It’s a sequel to the first game.

5 Likes

Mania is a sequel to Sonic 1?

1 Like

I keep getting stuck on blocks during the water level boss which I don’t think is supposed to happen and it’s super annoying so I stopped playing for now. Feels like the game needed a bit more polish, all these glitches make it feel like a fan game!!!

1 Like

Wouldn’t be a Sonic game without a huge amount of game breaking glitches

the only glitch i’ve encountered is that once the stage music didn’t start playing after the invincible music finished. i feel left out

we’re talking about a series where the English manual for one game presented a glitch where you’re stuck in the level and have to hit RESET as one of “Robotnik’s diabolical traps”

6 Likes

that’s wonderful, I want to shake the hand of whoever decided to do that

anyway yeah this is quite fiddly in places, and not really defensibly so, it can be quite frustrating if you’re not in mind of the old games, but it’s very faithful and odds are you may not have any trouble at all (if I’d happened to beat the final boss on my first try I would’ve had a pretty frictionless experience, it was only when I presumed experience with the last level I started to beat my head into the wall), and it’s still great and otherwise impeccably polished and has way more consistent level design than any of the older games regardless