Sonic Mania

hmmm ok, gonna try this. i figured there had to be some trick to it, because otherwise…

edit: wow, yeah, literal game changer.

Yeah, if u spin dash into them at any pont when they’re also in ball mode they fly off at a super low angle, and the odds that they’ll hit the boss is nearly 100%. I watched my roommate play the boss more the way you probably did it, and it looked awful, but then I tried this way and it was a piece of cake!

2 Likes

i found some of the bosses really unintuitive but feel they’re mostly an improvement over the megadrive bosses, most of which you can effortlessly spawn kill

i… didn’t have any trouble with the final boss though, i mean, i wouldn’t say it’s good but seriously the sonic generations final boss makes it look like giygas or something

1 Like

So far I’ve really enjoyed most or all of the bosses. I’ve always though S3&K’s addition of mid-bosses was a good idea, because if there are more bosses it takes the pressure off each one to be super earth-shatteringly interesting, so instead u just got a bunhca cute little battles, none of which tries to take up too much air. My favorite is Hydrocity Zone Act 2. When I realized what was going on I lol’d hard, also Robotnik’s sprite is extremely cute

2 Likes

Generations’s boss was such a fucking nightmare. Also, there was some sorta achievement for beating him a certain way (maybe taking no damage?), which took me literally hours (I normally don’t bother with cheevos but I loved that game enough to 100% it).

the generations boss didn’t make you replay the longest level in the game if you lost though

this one doesnt either???

maybe it was a mistake to get super sonic on my first playthrough?

I’m not enjoying this at all, I’ve rerun the last zone like five times and I keep getting new bullshit crushing deaths every time because that’s what happens when you think you know the level well enough to go fast

it was fun while it lasted but I don’t think I’m gonna bother to finish it at this point, a game hasn’t irritated me this much in years

1 Like

if I remember correctly I also died at the final phase of the final boss of breath of the wild and had to start over after having basically no trouble prior to then so maybe I’m just inexplicably bad at final bosses of kids’ games, I didn’t hear about anyone else doing that

also it’s a sonic tradition for the endgame to seem like maybe it wasn’t QA’ed so I can hardly hold this against it

you can get two emeralds in the first act of green hill zone, chemical plant zone and studiopolis

i’m just confused: are you saying that when you die at the final boss, you are being sent back to the beginning of the level? or just when you totally run out of lives (which is normal)? unless it’s different after you’ve already cleared the game, it always started me off at the final phase.

no, I keep running out of lives, and I keep getting to him with not enough, because I keep getting more frustrated the more I have to re-run the level and going fast keeps leading to crushing deaths

gotta go fast…straight to hell

1 Like

Do y’all think this would be a good small screen game?

Yup!

1 Like

It works very well on the Switch in portable mode.

1 Like

If I made Sonic Mania, I would have put in Carnival Night Zone just so I could have the player encounter that famously confusing up-and-down barrel thing and jump on it, only to have it turn out to be destructable, so sonic breaks right through it and just hits a simple spring under it. Catharsis at last after 20 years of frustration!

7 Likes

every time i hear about someone getting stuck on that barrel, i believe it a little less

3 Likes

I tried again and wound up glitching out of the top of the room during the first endboss fight, threw up my hands and was pretty sure I’d have to wait for time to run out but luckily I got reset when the fight changed phases

knuckles and knuckles mode is incredible

1 Like