Rock got hella chuuni

For you lore heads, Rock has an alternate win pose and victory pose+quote

DLC character bios: http://www.snk-corp.co.jp/us/games/kof-xiv/newcharacter/

Whip’s fighting style is, uh

5 Likes

that’s a custom title if I’ve ever seen one

Just imagine

1 Like

Just got the DLC characters and have had some time to play around with them. Whip seems good but only time will tell. I love that Bandeiras’ ground super hits OTG now. I am having a ton of fun with KOF14.

I started messing around with Bandeiras shortly before the patch dropped and it was odd that the ground pound super didn’t OTG so that’s been a really great change. He can now convert so many situations into damage and follow-up into this left-right mixups. He feels designed around setting up the left-right stuff so I wasn’t sure how worth it something like his hcf+P was, which caused a hard knockdown on the heavy and EX versions. Now he can do that for damage and them combo into the MAX OTG super for even more damage, followed by a couple of knees and then setup either his command dash mix-up or his slide mix-up. If he air-to-airs someone he can also follow-up with the OTG super and its hitbox will catch them before they touch the ground! And then it’s straight into the left-right mix ups again. Good stuff. His crouching light kick hitbox is awful though!

I like how the patch was overall designed to bring everyone up instead of mostly nerfing the top tiers down. I was never very fond when KOF let you take down 1/2-3/4 of someone’s health in a single combo as it left less opporunity for interplay between characters if the players knew how to convert their hits into BNBs, but since that’s the direction of KOF14 I think giving more characters the ability to do consistent damage is great.

Yeah, I don’t know if I would call him top tier with all the changes but there are a few people rushing to that conclusion.
You hit the nail on the head though with how his combos are just so much more open now. Tis a good thing.

Anyone know exactly what happened to Vice? I was maining her before patch and now a few heavy hitters in the community are saying she is now a boss. I have yet to see anything glaring but it could be hit box hurt box stuff that I am not seeing yet.

www.twitch.tv/videos/138783963?t=02h11m06s

Some pretty interesting Kukri techniques on display by this online player kimkaphan (starts at 2 hours, 11 minutes, 6 seconds if the timestamp doesn’t work). When he has meter he’s got some very strong flowcharts on how to use the teleports and EX teleports to mix-up and bait whiffs. The 2.0 buff that reduced the recovery and hitbox on EX teleport has made that thing crazy since you can now teleport again before the EX teleport has finished. He plays for the next hour so there’s a lot to see if you’re interested in the character at all.

KOFXIV 3.0 is starting of real strong, huh?

He’s lacking the dynamism of his original Sprite art but I think they did a good job of making him look like a physically fit old guy.

2 Likes

the kof xi ost is so good.
kof xi is so good.

4 Likes

Asjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I had given up on more DLC characters. But from the start my list was always, like, Vanessa, Oswald, Whip… all these guys that were animated so well in 2D, that I wanted to see reinterpreted.

It so seriously is. The K’ theme. Ash’s theme. The bonkers Kyo/Shingo/Iori theme.

We already knew we were getting one DLC character- last year SNK had a contest in the Middle East to select a fan designed character and stage. The winning character is named Najd and the stage is based on Riyadh (there’s some additional art of her at the link).

Then not too long ago SNK put out a teaser on Twitter stating you could play a new DLC character at Evo Japan and the picture featured a Joker card and a KOF14 logo that said “3.0”. There wasn’t a whole lot of possibilities of what the Joker could realistically could have meant and it was far too early for enough work to have been done on Najd to have her playable but no one could be completely sure what SNK was planning. SNK still haven’t said what the 3.0 means but 2.0 was when we got the first batch of DLC characters as well as a major rebalance. Now we know Oswald is one of four DLC characters, coming in April (whether that means all four or just Oswald in April I don’t know). I’m still trying to find out if there’s word from Evo Japan about a rebalance though.

2 Likes

Riiiiiiiight. Forgot all about that contest. Thought it was cool at the time.

I also forgot about the DLC data table hack from last summer, that basically laid bare all of the placeholder data for anticipated character, stage, costume, and music downloads. In addition to the now-five officially revealed characters, there were Shingo (!!!), Blue Mary, and Hinako, plus two inscrutable things that might have been Heidern and Jubei.

1 Like

i wish they’d give these new characters teams to be on, or find some other way for them to be worthwhile to single player weirdos

2 Likes

Am I imagining this or does KOF as a series have an unusually high density of characters wearing suits

2 Likes

Now I want new hire Shingo.

3 Likes

KOF has an unusually high density of characters wearing actual outfits!

1 Like

That weirded me out at first. My first KOF was '98 on the Dreamcast, AKA Dream Match 1999. There was no context; not even the How To Play from the arcade version. And '98 of course has no story. So I just have these dozens of characters, and… they’re all just people in clothes. We don’t have these bold caricatures, like in a Capcom game. They’re just realistically drawn people, wearing outfits. Sometimes stylish outfits; sometimes practical; sometimes just everyday stuff. I had no clue what to make of this, or how I was meant to distinguish between, like, Kensou and Shingo. It struck me as pretentious, like a playable fashion show. Some of the characters, I didn’t really get them until the more-stylized sprites in Capcom vs SNK. Around the same time, '99 Evolution hit the Dreamcast, and everything clicked…

3 Likes