Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81- The King of Fighters XV

Now they do.

The Shing o Fighters '98

2 Likes

there we go! did this the simplest way.

2 Likes

It’s kind of strange how Discourse handles the dates when you merge a huge chunk of a thread into another one, but I guess it’s more “clear” than just dumping them into the thread chronologically.

KOF2000’s movelist terminology is adorable.

1 Like

DOA THRASHING also shows up in Maximum Impact for whatever reason.

I haven’t played any of the games but I listen to all the arranged soundtracks of the 94-2000 era.

Based on music alone, 99 seems the best.

It is.

I have a theory which is only rarely disproven, whereby the game with the best music tends to be the best game.

Ah the Nier Therom.

Something that was amazing to me that Aderack pointed out at the time was how in Shingo’s later apperances there was a small chance flame would come out of his specials. Which is such a lovely detail.

Yeah, just a little spark that even Shingo isn’t totally convinced is happening.

Anyone know what’s going on with the move buffer here? Mai’s crouching LK isn’t able to be special canceled but her standing LP is. If I do cr.LK, qcf+LP I get a crouching LK, standing LP, and then her fan projectile (qcf+LP). So I’m getting two LP presses counted even though I’m pressing it once. I haven’t found this happening elsewhere just yet but I haven’t had time to mess around with it. Anyone know how the command intepreter works that causes this to happen? Is this something that already has applications in past games?

(If you look at the key data sometimes it shows LP appear twice but it seems like that display will show a new button press for any held keys if you press or release directions. These don’t actually count as button presses as far as I can tell.)

It’s weird reading this because Krizalid was probably the boss that I’ve had more trouble defeating, consistently, in any of the games, when I used to play them regularly. Not even Orochi, Zero or Ignis gave me as much trouble as Krizalid.

That is curious. I mean, everyone’s mileage varies. He’s basically the only SNK boss who feels fair to me, though: tough, yet balanced and beatable without just spamming one cute move over and over. And I like his two stages. Stage one is a throwaway; then he gets serious and kicky.

I’d have to replay to analyze any more closely. But, other SNK bosses don’t even bother to fight. They just fill the screen with SDMs that kill you in two or three contacts.

1 Like

Even though he doesn’t really use full screen supers I still feel like Goenitz is the freaking worst. Those damn tornadoes that he gets off during the startup of everything stronger than a standing jab drive me nuts.

1 Like

He likely came out at a point when I just didn’t dedicate much time to single player anymore but bullet hell man Magaki is where I resign.

At least Shion and the guest mid-bosses do a little bit to alleviate the absurdity that is Magaki. Outside of Mukai and vanilla Saiki, Those From the Past are easily the least interesting antagonist faction in KOF.

Yup

Hooray, Athena panty shots are back (-_-). I were willing to be optimistic I’d say that at least they didn’t go as whole hog as they could have, but a) I don’t want to, and b) I’m fairly sure that making them more frequent would undermine whatever it is their appeal is supposed to be.

I like the team music, though!

It’s actually difficult to not show panties when animating an active skirt-wearing character. Any kind of wide kick, flip, or other vigorous movement will show it.

In 2d you can cover it up unnaturally but in a seamless way, but in 3d that takes a lot more work because you have to key in the warping of the skirt to cover it up.

I think they tried not to show it as much, which is why her skirt is way longer than it was in the last games, but the nature of 3d and it’s various camera angles makes it very difficult.

2 Likes

Yeah, the panty flashes feel like a natural occurance that happens due to her wardrobe instead of a thing they are trying to actively show them off. At least the super animation keeps them mostly out of view. Can’t say I’m feeling the baby doll like faces of Athena and Kensou. I honestly prefer goof ball kensou while XIII’s well trained martial artist aesthetic was a nice spin calling back to the original athena game.

There is that–like I said, they could have gotten away with a lot more panty-flashing if they had wanted to, given cloth physics. It just feels somewhat odd from a historical perspective , given that KoFs XIII and XII did their damnedest not to make panty-flashing animations, even when it would have been realistic, and XI just went and gave her shorts. ETA: This is the first game to do it, besides KOF MI 2 in her alternate costume, which makes it notable.