Simple 2000 Series Vol. 81- The King of Fighters XV

Big post: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10496706/#Comment_10496706
Mechanics overview: KOFXIV Gameplay System (Playstation Experience Build) - YouTube

Rumored cast:

China Team: 恶魇青年 (?), 糖葫芦 (Tung Fu Rue), 枕头少年 (?)
Japan Team: 草蕹京 (Kyo Kusanagi), 二阶堂红丸 (Benimaru Nikaido), 大门五郎 (Goro Daimon)
Fatal Fury Team: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, 东丈 (Joe Higashi)
Art of Fighting Team: 坂崎良 (Ryo Sakazaki), Robert Garcia, 坂崎百合 (Yuri Sakazaki)
K’ Team: K’, Maxima, Kula Diamond
Kim Team: 金家藩 (Kim Kaphwan), 他师父 (Kim’s Master), 他师母 (Kim’s Wife)
Criminal Team: 犯人陈 (Prisoner Chang Koehan), 犯人蔡 (Prisoner Choi Bounge), 新人囚犯 (Newcomer Prisoner)
Women Fighters Team: 不知火舞 (Mai Shiranui), King, Alice
Ikari Team: Ralf Jones, Clark Still, Leona Heidern
Psycho Soldier Team: Athena Asamiya, 椎拳崇 (Sie Kensou), 摸元斋 (Chin Gentsai)
Yagami Team: 八神庵 (Iori Yagami), Mature, Vice
Mexico Team: Ramon, Angel, Tizoc
Palace Wan Team: 脸谱女 (Acting Mask Girl), 电属性少女歌手 (Teenage Girl Singer with Electric Element), 神秘兜帽男 (Mysterious Hooded Man)
South Town Team: Geese Howard, Billy Kane, 营家新人 (?)
South America Team: 巴西忍者 (Brazilian Ninja), 残障拳击手 (Handicap Boxer), 拉丁美女 (Pretty Latin Girl)
Alternate World Team: 娜可露露 (Nakoruru), Love Heart, 龙娘 (Mui Mui)
Mid-boss: 俄罗斯富豪 (Russian Billionaire)
Final Boss: 人形态非人类物种 (Non-Human Species)

Obligatory pics:

The implementation of Max Mode this time is interesting. It still costs 1 meter, it still powers up your DMs, it still gives you access to a super duper move, but it doesn’t give you extra cancel points or increased damage or anything. Instead it just wholesale changes all of your specials into EX specials and this doesn’t necessarily mean the moves are better- they’re just different. For example Andy’s fireball turns into a slow moving orb. Since you can’t do the regular specials anymore Max mode doesn’t give your character more options but it instead just changes them. This is a very different way to go about a system-wide super mode compared to I think most games’. It’s hard to say what the design methodology behind EX moves is without knowing more move lists but I am curious to see what comes out of it. It sounds like it could very easily make EX moves too situational to use if the system isn’t designed right, since you have to have a moment to activate max mode and then only have access to them for a short amount of time.

Edit: In the mechanics overview video there’s a comparison between Andy’s regular fireball and EX fireball. It’s difficult to tell but maybe the EX ball isn’t slower, it just has quicker recovery such that you can catch up with the fireball? In that case it is just a straight improvement over the regular version.

relation shoes to come again?

The mid boss is named “Russian Billionaire”?!

Do EX moves in MAX mode take time or super bar for using them?

I can sort of get behind this because I could never get myself to get to using EX moves in XIII starting out since they used a whole stock that could be used for a DM. The EX might have more utility but I wouldn’t be able to pick up the nuance or rewards off them without grinding out training mode. I’m a player that likes to experiment in real play since I’m a terrible lab tech. I’m more of a field tester. If I just throw out EXs just to pick up on them I’m going to blow through all my resources. With this MAX mode EX style I feel like I could easily just pop one meter and just throw them out to get a feel for them in real play without burning all my resources.

They use MAX mode time right now, I believe.

I still think the game looks pretty KoF-ish in motion, but man. Those screenshots. Owch.

Epic burns

1 Like

This is truly amazing team. I’m all in and already found my new mains.

Also, besides the obviously fantastic pic, I enjoyed:

Remember seeing cgi cutscenes on PS1 and thinking "Some day, the whole game will look like that" Today is that day. pic.twitter.com/fnhSUtAMUH

— J52 (@_J52_) December 6, 2015

That cast list is supposed to be disproven, albeit yeah it got everything right till now.

Wait, shit, is the general fightmans thread deprecated now? Or just running parallel to per-game threads? Or is this thread just laughing at the hideously smooth plastic people? O brave new board, that has such topics in’t!

We can still have a general fighmans thread in addition to specific ones.
I’m kinda curious about how we will fare navigating these megathreads because this forum essentially eliminates the concept of pages

I need Vanessa and Oswald to be back

I like game specific threads because its easy to follow and pick up conversations on a single topic over a long period of time rather than things getting lost in the shuffle of other news. I think it will also be more useful in the case of a game that’s in development and coming out soon. But general discussion threads are fine too.

Can’t grab the link now bit there’s a thread over at MadMan’s Cafe translating a Famitsu interview with the game’s producer. I skimmed it and it looks very enlightening. The game has been in development since early 2014 and lots of old SNK staff have come back to work on KOF14 but on the flip side none of the staff have much experience with 3D so they’re learning as they go. Explains a lot.

I also like game specific threads especially if I am not interested in every game in a specific genre. (like the case is with Fightmans)

I dig the genre discussion threads just to get a sense of what’s going on in general, and more overall news stuff. For specifics on design, tactics, mocking tweets about terribad graphical style, whatever… yeah, the individual game threads are good.

No reason we can’t have both though!

Man, if that list is true, I’m totally gonna play this to play Nakoruru in a modern game.

I hope she won’t look terrible. Angel, Leona, and Kula look pretty good so far though.

I hope we get adult Yuri from Max Impact.

That interview got fully translated: http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13571.shtml#72069

Nothing too detailed but it’s a good overview of the project. Long-story short, the CEO of SNK declared in 2014 that he wanted SNK to be the king of fighting games and a long-time staffer got in contact with a lot of old-school SNK staff and brought them back on board for KOF14. Yasuyuki Oda, the game’s producer and the man being interviewed, was himself one of the people called back (he worked on Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting). There’s talk about how “sharp” the character designs are, which puts all of Oda’s other opinions into question, but that they’re using 3D just because they need to move on towards current tech despite SNK not having a lot of 3D knowhow. Old characters have some adjusted designs to take advantage of 3D, new characters will definitely be designed with flourishes that would be too much work to handle in 2D. During the planning phase SNK developed a roster consisting solely of returning characters as well as a roster of solely new characters and the final roster is a combination of the two.

There is no way anything will be more popular than SF5 and KOF14 definitely won’t be popular with it’s graphics but the gameplay itself is looking like it will be real solid. I’m hoping SNK kept a bunch of the planned new characters since KOF13 was almost entirely returning characters.

I think the

i hope the graphics at least mean that a vita version is a possibility

This is just such a bizarre thing to say. Like, the current tech they’re using is better because it’s more efficient. It’s not more efficient if you don’t know how to do it!

1 Like