Tom's Hardware of Finland

for everything that I’m saying, I’m still going to scope out a cheap AM4 ITX board and dump my 1700X in it once the next set of Ryzen chips come out so I can do everything all over again

who knows, maybe memory will be cheap by then

1 Like

I’m not saying I’m ok with the prices. But DAN cases are basically small batch Indy, manufactured by the best manufacturer, Lian-Li. Lian-Li’s own cases are really expensive. But If DAN were making Cooler Master sized orders, it’s likely his cases would cost less.

There are some other Indy case makers, and they have similar pricing issues.

But, you basically can’t or at least couldn’t get cases designed like these indies, from bigger brands. There might be something by now. It’s been two years since I had a close look at the case market.

I take it I’m going to get banned from this thread for admitting I’m shopping for a new case by seeing what’s on sale

2 Likes

My ITX case is a generic branded Raijintek Metis so I could save $20.

My mid-tower case before that, was an $11 bestbuy special.

1 Like

I’m literally waiting for the Define R6 to go on sale again and scooping one up and them I’m done forever

I swear

oh, and I would have to get a Chopin for the orphaned Intel ITX system

and then this

but after that, I’m done with cases

I mean it

1 Like

okay, I lied, I also want a Cerberus but those things are 225 bucks unconfigured, sooooooo

2 Likes

Ok yeah, so the big brands are doing it now. Two years ago, this style of case was only in the indy space.

build update: jfc fuck these PSU cables right in the ear

3 Likes

oh cool I’m getting 0xc000021a on startup today and none of the alleged fixits are working

I’m bad but I don’t deserve this

2 Likes

you probably need to redo your thermal paste if you were previously having borderline heat issues and it’s a decade old

eww

honestly if you’ve done it before and the CPU cooler doesn’t require taking everything else out of the case to get at it takes like 10 minutes

i think this is summat other tbh

fortunately i clone my os drive every so often to another ssd and that seems to be working, just need to update like 4 months of stuff wooo

A seemingly well computer not working the next time you try to turn it on, is my favorite.

Not.

1 Like

sure, i have some time to type right now… (j/k, i still have the old GPU that should’ve been replaced back into the rig again)

case: Silverstone SST-GD10B
mobo: ASUS Prime X370-Pro
CPU: Ryzen 1700X
GPU: Gigabyte VEGA 64 oc 8gb, before/now: STRIX R9 380 OC 4gb
PSU: bequiet 650W darkpower pro
storage: nvme samsung 960 500gb
RAM:… actually dunno, got that as a payback from a friend, since it works stable w/ ryzen. 32gb (2x 16gb)
Fans: 2x120, 2x 60, 1x90 iirc
Cooler: Noctua twin tower NH8? 9? something

see also

and

for pxxx.

off topic now:
has anyone seen a ryzen 2200ge or 2400ge out in the wild yet?
they’ve been announced back in february, officially presented in april, and yet not available anywhere i’ve checked, is that just a yuropean thing that we do not need a “frugal” AMD cpu that doesn’t burn a hole into the ozon layer the instant you turn it on, or is it another case of ‘amd says, and delivers a year later’, re VEGA.

because i’d like to finally start/finish that NAS build i’ve been dreaming of even before i built that HTPC shown above.

Nvidia did their thing today

Ray tracing seems cool, it’ll be cool to let it cook in the oven for a few generations before it’s good like tesselation

1 Like

I’m going to get one of these, though probably not until the second wave of third-party cards. Plus then maybe there will be some movement on gsync monitors. I’m kind of assuming these things don’t support hdmi 2.2’s VRR

and just like Maxwell the incredible thing is they did all this without a real shrink again so even like two years from now they should be able to another near 50% performance improvement

have they talked about ray tracing APIs yet? I’m assuming that in a technical sense this will be the first rendering technique that never makes it into OpenGL, but I’m not sure if it has a standard implementation in Vulkan yet

I’m wondering how useful ray tracing will be for games right now/next couple years. Because right now, these cards are reallllly expensive and it feels like we might be paying for something which will barely be used for some time.