Tom's Hardware of Finland

GPU prices soon to return to normal I assume

Maybe even collapse if some of the miners dump all their used GPUs onto the resale market?

2 Likes

Finally I made a good tech purchasing decision!

But wait I have a freesync monitor ffffff

1 Like

so I finally ended up getting that aorus gaming box with the 1070 in it

it works great! getting good performance on MHW and other games on 1080p and it’s exactly what I want with my XPS 15!

for reference, I’m only running with an external monitor so I’m not getting any of the restrictions of the 2 lane TB3 on the older XPS models

1 Like

Four lanes is still juuuust about at their limit with a 1070 but I’m glad it’s working! It’s cool these are finally viable

honestly I haven’t been more tempted to buy an individual tech stock as though I know what I’m doing and can stand the risk of it, I can’t see that they have anywhere to go but up in the next few years and this might be the nadir now that crypto has all but burst

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with holding 5-10% of your savings in risky securities. That’s not as undiversified as holding 80% in the form of a house, which everybody does without batting an eye

If it goes down, hey at least you can claim it as a tax deduction!

I do think “normal” is relative given that they are now more or less consumer supercomputers and that’s reflected in pricing; I saw a lot of people complaining over the past couple years that there’s no longer a “good value” $300 GPU thanks to bitcoin mining which I found misleading because a) I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than $200 on a GPU so I’m not sure where even that rule of thumb came from and b) x86 CPUs are far more guilty of price inflation without providing additional utility or compute power than modern GPUs are, people just conceptualize them differently.

Crypto mining is certainly an environmental disaster but it only had the effect of pushing GPUs above their new typical MSRPs, which are themselves at least 50% higher than a few years ago

1 Like

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cpp929

I forgot about this thread and got a bunch of parts. Please confirm that buying the first revision of a new motherboard chipset is actually an extremely good idea.

4 Likes

fuck man, a Dan A4?

I mean, it’s a nice case but the sticker shock is off the charts

also a B450 board would be the second revision (the first chipsets for AM4 were the B350 and X370 and Asus released ITX B350 boards super late, so)

edit: buying AC thermal gunk when Noctua heatsinks come with Noctua gunk in the box, smh

You performed an altruistic act, getting through the bugs so the rest of us don’t have to

Small Form Factor builds are fun!

Small form factor builds are suffering

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve come around to desktop computers just occupying mid-tower amounts of space. I don’t need my computer on my desk or off the floor, and anything larger than a Mac mini/NUC/etc. isn’t much different than a mid-tower in practice.

Having a small computer not taking up a bunch of room or looking natural in a non-computer-usual location or being able to travel with it is nice but I probably what have been better served with a 30 foot HDMI cable going to my TV than trowing some unused parts in a breadbox

Which isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy it but fuck figuring out parts and cooling for the thing

Oops! I had the MX-4 lying around from before. Guess I save it for later.

The Dan A4 was non-negotiable. Pointlessly overpriced, adding arbitrary restrictions and causing unneeded frustration? That’s on-brand for this dan

edit even opening the thing up is mutilple fiddly steps, I love it

2 Likes

I don’t know if I would call pointlessly overpriced

even the bootleg A4’s starting to trickle out are still $110+

That’s a happy Zaku, so yeah, that’s been a good choice.

1 Like

btw re Nitro 580:
The VEGA 64 keeps on freezing randomly, and takes down the system, even though i’ve tried the usal bios update, driver updates etc…so, jeeeeez, time to send it back, and see whether they can send me a replacement at all… it’s not like these cards are available easily, heh.

Updates when it happens!

I love ITX but yeah opening it up has never and will never be fun

Maybe I missed it, but can you list the full specs of that build?