Tom's Hardware of Finland

need at least 1.2 gigawatts

2 Likes

that’s as big as this form factor goes!

Also the 12v is fine dammit

Smaller than sfx?

I think it’s SFX, it’s whatever comes standard in the SG05

anyway the 12v is fine, I also got far too ambitious about overclocking the CPU on the old PSU before I realized how exponentially the power consumption scaled at that point and it once was hooked up to a UPS that couldn’t provide 450w from the wall during a power outage that occurred while I was gaming before I read the amperage rating correctly

so really the old power supply had a good hard life and this new one should have a much easier go of things

did I mention the 12v was fine and I scoff at people who are like “you need a 600w PSU to run 400w of components” because I like tiny efficient computers that have 250w GPUs

1 Like

I’m tired of my case rattling and not having USB 3 on the front

Now it’s gotten to the point where I’m thinking about getting a new desk to deal with the fact that almost all the cases I can find have the front IO stuff on the top, right side and how that fucks everything up about where my shit is

and maybe I should get rid of or upgrade my 15-year old secondary monitor? the DPI doesn’t match my other monitor and it kind of sucks

thankfully, i’ll never make a decision and won’t buy anything and will just occasionally kick my computer which is really good for it and the failed raid array therein

1 Like

What’s the noise level on your desktop? Doesn’t it sound like an high-pass-filtered jet engine with those tiny fans running at ultrahigh speed over tiny heatsinks?

uhh, there are 600W SFX PSUs

hell, there’s an 800W SFX PSU

2 Likes

SFF doesn’t necessarily mean tiny cooling. I have a Scythe Mugen 5 rev b. CPU cooler In a Raijintek Metis case.

Along with a 7870 which is like 9 or 10 inches long and an ATX power supply.

it’s nearly inaudible actually

3570Ks run quiet even with the stock Intel cooler (I have never bought an aftermarket cooler of any kind and I’ve been overclocking stuff in the smallest available form factors for 20 years) and the Titan X is basically just abutting the side of the case which is all cut out anyway, there effectively is almost no “inside” of the case, so airflow is fine

I have never understood why people even get het up about fans

granted I took out part of this one with tin snips to better fit everything

oh well, I saved money, even this PSU cost almost what the PSU and case did in the first place six years ago

anyway it was the PSU and my workstation is back up now so phew time to sleep and then do a monday

2 Likes

I computer very cavalierly

2 Likes

I was going to write about how I want a candy colored imac with a modern computer inside but got distracted and tabbed back and this was in the type field.

4 Likes

still liking it? might pick one up soon

Heck yeah

I’m a novice compared to some folks on here like @Brooks or @spacetown but at $100 it seems to pair well with headphones between $75-$250.

2 Likes

whee

I’ve had a Schiit Asgard 2 paired with Sennheiser HD650s for ~4 years now and it’s been extremely good. They make great, durable products. I also use their vinyl preamp, which has a confusingly generous price-performance ratio.

i’ve been eyeing the zotac mini gtx 1080 ti not regularly, but for a while now, and finally it seems to sliiightly dip below its ridiculous 700$$$ mark, but now amd has (supposedly) finally done it and kinda released their shrunk vega 56, which … still is a vega 56, hmmph.

since a hardware mag (printed, i’m that oldschool, yes) done me a favor and tested PrjCars2 with 1080, somethingK and 4k, i am a bit less-than-impressed about the fps i would be able to get with the vega… granted, only looking at 1080-fps here, but just a handful of frames even though i currently only have a R380? Come on…

That seems a bit… mediocre.

perpetual “i will upgrade at ONE point, surely, indeed, yeah, but for now, i’ll wait JUST A BIT MORE” diary entry 3714

a fascinating thing I just learned is that typical bitrates for 4K bluray are only at most like 2x what you’d see from a “regular” good HEVC encode of the same video at the same resolution (like 30GB vs 60GB). That’s a big difference from h264/1080p content where you could generally do in 3GB what the physical media would do in 25 with the same codec.

HEVC probably won’t ever be as dominant as h264 (due to licensing differences and sheer lack of need in many form factors) but I wonder if that ratio is just gone moving forward.

1 Like

Is that because video compression has moved forward less drastically since finalizing UHD bluray than it had between regular bluray and roughly a half decade on (I don’t know if that’s true, just speculating)?