Tom's Hardware of Finland

Apple dropping support for Sandy notebooks and keeping Ivy in the newest macOS reinforces this

I will be pissed if they drop ivy / haswell in the next 3 years though because they aren’t even going to have an architecture worth upgrading to until a year from now at the earliest

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-CEO-Krzanich-Resigns

I wonder if he called his dick “the 10 nanometer process”

I thought this was going to be exciting for a second but no, he’s just horny

that’s boring

Otellini: presided over an x86 CPU design Renaissance, managed to release interesting upgrades for consumer platforms almost every year, achieved more or less 100% server marketshare, died of cancer

Krzanich: ceded the HPC space almost completely to Nvidia, released a bunch of mediocre undifferentiated 14nm chips, slept with an employee

1 Like

Metaphorically eating popcorn while I read about this RAM company catfight. It’s like corporate Jerry Springer. No real sympathy for the RAM incumbents that somehow fail to produce enough now and then causing prices to skyrocket

1 Like

ok now put a quad core in the 13" and we’re off to the races

Has anyone dabbled in getting away from all-in-one routers? I fell down the r/homenetworking rabbit hole and now my window has shifted from “well, this netgear seems alright and doesn’t currently have a publicized security hole” to “should I get an edgerouter x and a tri-band ap with power-over-ethernet or just go whole hog pfsense with spare parts and moxie”

someone who is good at keeping things simple help my time budget is starving

.1 hr eating
.1 hr grooming
100 hrs getting vyos certified for no reason

I briefly considered getting a few ubiquiti unifi’s a couple years ago and didn’t

I don’t think any of my local streaming stuff or home network connection is going to saturate my archer C7 probably ever, I pretty much get whatever technology I can get for $50 a month from the local ISP who famously doesn’t give a shit about piracy or actually enforcing their stated caps and right now that’s 80mbit

plus I live in 900sqft which is actually a rather large apartment by local standards & one router is fine for that much space

Yeah no, I don’t understand how that could possibly be worth the trouble unless you value the tinkering for its own sake. I care about my router wifi reliability a great deal, connections that like flake out briefly for one second every day are rage-inducing. Speed when it does work, not as much.

The main thing for me has been to read Amazon/Newegg negative reviews very carefully on routers to see if even a single person is believably complaining about flaky connection. If so it’s a no buy. (I don’t care about the inevitable one stars complaining it didn’t work at all.)

Currently I’m on a Google WiFi (a single unit, not big enough place to need the mesh feature). I was a little worried about the only two bands and the auto band switching since I’m in a large apartment building, but it turns out to work perfectly. I chose it mainly for peace of mind around security thanks to the autoupdates.

Yes, I have this, it works well (except my phone very aggressively changes bands and I get kicked offline briefly whenever I walk directly underneath my AP)

about once a year, i have to resist the urge to setup a QoS supporting network structure that lets me isolate multiple VLANs and a musiccast subnetwork, plus, most importantly, WLAN from the rest of the network, because… it would be cool to have that, aside from security considerations.

then i decide not to bother for another year, rinse & repeat

Are the bands the same SSID? That would be a nice feature and it’s hard to track down the acronym on the UBNT forum.

They are

Nice! Thanks.

I’ll let y’all know how it goes.

Another reason I got the idea of the Google wifi is that the team there is supposed to be monitoring events like connection flapping and pushing software updates to address them if they happen too frequently. Like, km’s band-changing problem is probably technically the phone’s fault, but most users would blame the router for it, and it’s also probably possible for the router to work around it with some careful manipulation, so they have an incentive to fix these things.

It’s the only router with the modern Silicon Valley monitoring and update strategy behind it that leads to the generally pleasant and predictable experience of software like Chrome. Why debug these things if there’s a team of professionals hopefully doing it for me

I chuckled at this, sorry.

I am totally jonesing to learn how to do this. I’ve also got ebay alerts set for an austin healey carburetor so it’s just valuing the tinkering itself, like you said.

How do all of you do your computer storage? What kind of setup of HDDs and SSDs, internals and externals, NASs and RAIDs, or even THE CLOUD have you got going to make it all work? Running out of data space and need to buy more but still not sure in which direction to go with it all.

Does one really need more then one SSD that can fit all of a computer’s OS and most programs?

It depends on your data. What use case is making you run out of space?

The use case that all I have is a 250 GB SSD and an external 1 TB 3,5", and modern games and HD movies sure fill that fast when I suddenly got real fast Internet.

my desktop has a 250GB BX100 SSD and a 3TB 3.5" drive from 2013 with the usual separation of content, and I just added a 512GB mSATA drive for games because I noticed the hard drive was bottlenecking a few too many recent releases, and also just discovered this six year old motherboard has an mSATA slot