Tom's Hardware of Finland

do you plan on using it w/ linux ==>
are there drivers (almost sure there won’t be. except for the oddball device you will have to know about beforehand to even have a chance to get it by accident)?

so, i finally bought one of them tablets now, primarily to have a target device for deploying android applications and doing web surfing stuff.
it is the huawei mediapad m5, 10.8" version, if anyone still cares about the android tablet eco system. has 8.0 out of the box, let’s see whether the lineage folks will pick this up at a later date…

i am enjoying the way better useability of the yamaha musiccast application and AV controller, and i can finally, seriously consider playing anything on android.
i have downloaded the mistwalker apllications, and will play them soonish.

still installing (or rather: uninstalling and replacing) applications, since the preloaded batch of applications is nothing to write home about.

give recommendations what’s cool for tabs, fdroid is already on this machine.

Are you looking at Schiit? I’ve heard the multibit has a touch of latency, for what that’s worth.

yeah I was looking at a schiit jotunheim

I think I’ve had enough linux for one lifetime. but it’s supposed to be plug and play anyway.

A month ago I bought the Schiit Fulla to go with my Sennheiser HD 598’s and it’s been spectacular, and probably as far as I’d want to go with headphones at this price. Very convenient as you can use it as a DAC/amp with USB to PC or just an amp if you only have a 3.5mm out. I can even USB it into the PS4.

also it identifies itself to Windows as:
fulla

3 Likes

i plumped for an audio-gd nfb28 a couple years ago for i believe in china

it’s been fine

Someday, the makers of windows will figure out how to cancel copying a media file.

1 Like

fuck macs lol

Deprecation of OpenGL and OpenCL
Apps built using OpenGL and OpenCL will continue to run in macOS 10.14, but these legacy technologies are deprecated in macOS 10.14. Games and graphics-intensive apps that use OpenGL should now adopt Metal. Similarly, apps that use OpenCL for computational tasks should now adopt Metal and Metal Performance Shaders.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was already planning my next laptop to be a PC but this seals the deal.

use this one weird trick to save a lot of disk space

it actually works super well, with essentially no effort i freed up like 40GB on my SSD. doom alone was 6GB smaller

Presumably that increases load times. Perceptibly? During a game your CPU has plenty of work already so I’d expect that’s worst-case.

IIRC @km has a 7700k, so maybe they’ve got threads sitting idle? I definitely do in most games.

I don’t think there are any new instruction sets that would totally trivialize that kind of decompression (at most they would take the CPU load from doing so down by 30-50%) unless this method of “compression” is only that in name alone and is more of a kernel-level feature of Windows that isn’t widely understood, which I guess is possible.

Back in the day some games actually loaded faster from compressed storage because the amount of data going over the comparively slow SATA link was reduced - what you were really waiting for was SATA -> RAM and the CPU time added by decompression was less than the time saved by moving fewer bits off the disk. I haven’t timed this for compact compressed games, but it does demonstrate that compression can impact performance in unintuitive ways.

I do have a 7700k with threads to burn, but unless you have a 2-core machine playing something streaming a ton of assets during actual play I wouldn’t expect a noticeable performance hit. Textures and the like are probably already compressed by the developer and I would be deeply surprised if the compression algorithms on offer didn’t have a mode where blocks where no compression was possible pay a CPU cost.

Keep in mind, this isn’t just RARing the files or something, transparent compression is built with a different set of tradeoffs in mind.

tl;dr a lot of guessing because I already have a mostly idle CPU and would rather play a game than benchmark it exhaustively

I heard y’all like coming within millimeters of clearances around these parts :cowboy_hat_face:

Gonna add another 140mm fan on the other side to pull lol

4 Likes

gets a bloodpotion for noctua love alone, by default.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12964/intels-first-discrete-gpu-set-for-2020

so this is interesting

in one way I feel like it represents Intel finally wising up, since a 24-core xeon is still a much worse design for a lot of workloads than an i5 + a 250w Nvidia GPU; x86 is pretty much never going to be competitive again for extremely computationally intensive stuff, and Nvidia needs some competition from someone with deeper pockets than AMD.

but really I want to see whether they have an architecture that’s competitive with Maxwell+ and whether they’ll start shipping it in iGPU form next year first. the whole Skylake generation has been such a fart for iGPUs.

I dunno. I wouldn’t bet on Intel’s new GPU being a top to bottom success, right away. Maybe unlimited money can do it. But fact is, AMD and Nvidia products are super mature and incredibly versatile. You can pretty much count on certain relative performance in (insert came here) and the feature sets nowadays are large and work better than ever.

I will be incredibly surprised if intel releases a product which even shows a consistent performance level (whatever that may be) from most games. Let alone a functioning, diverse feature set.

They may release in 2020. But I bet it takes them until 2025, to iron out the kinks to where they can be considered reasonably comparable.

As far as AMD goes, they have money again. A new head of the graphics division. And they just changed fairly aggressively changed their roadmap.

Non-Intel “7nm” is only marginally better than Intel 10nm fwiw. It is better but there is some degree of inflation there (the same way that the non-Intel 10nm process used in e.g. the iPhone X is better than Intel’s 14nm, but not generationally better in terms of the lithography). They’ll probably start shipping within six months of each other even so.

Also it’s not immediately clear that even Nvidia has a new architecture in the pipeline that’s not just a shrink and a memory interface that’s prohibitively expensive for consumers. Maxwell is still unmatched in many respects, then they shrunk it, and no one can compete.

I totally don’t blame them for telling everyone else to watch the throne either. They can command disgusting margins and there are only like two real shrinks left (10 and 5 or 7 and 3 depending on whose numbering you’re following), which means a doubling of performance at most between now and the atoms being too small in the absence of major breakthroughs, and I don’t think they’re straight up withholding those.

ordering MHF4 cables from china on eBay and replacing the mounting brackets on the rear end of the motherboard and everything else was completely awful but honestly replacing the wireless antennas in this mITX box was one of the better ideas I ever had, I love having a gigabit connection in an apartment building and bluetooth that reaches to my kitchen if I ever have to make tea during a conference call

1 Like