Tom's Hardware of Finland

the good thing about 3D APIs being as open as they are is that marketshare isn’t quite as much of a winner-take-all consideration for uptake

This is why apple was able to make their first GPU last year

I wouldn’t… Well, didn’t buy the most efficient car on sale when i bought my last car, and so i roll along with my AMD hw purchases, knowning fully well that there are better options, yet that little word ‘options’ is what made/makes me fend off those “why did you buy a space heater, for CHRISSAAAAAAKE” moments in summer when i dare not use my phenom II quad for packing some more degrees celsius on an already pretty elevated amount of degrees.

You need to know how to ignore sensible arguments, guys!
Join the EDF- wait, AMD Defense Force,…

1 Like

What

He could probably do 1080p just fine. RPCS3 doesnt require much videocard.

Performance should be noticeably better now, as the March update improved how they emulate and thread the Cell SPUs. So, the CPU side of he emulation got a big break.

1 Like

Well, there’s ubuntu 18.04 out, and if you miss the baremetal gnome flavourlike i do, playtime’s starting now:

I didn’t get around to check to which extent this works properly for wayland as well, but leaving it here for whoever is lazy enough to put up with ubu although he could do better than that.

I love that conemu lets you launch dosbox apps directly from bash like any other binary and the emulator intercepts it

2 Likes

Our PC gaming thread’s getting a little technical so here’s a bit of field reporting from a relatable everyman:

Guacamelee doesn’t run good on my i5 6500 / GTX 1060 and I just temporarily locked myself out of the GeForce Experience because why would I remember that password? Possible Wii U reconnect forthcoming.

Back to you.

That, uh, doesn’t sound right. I think I ran Guacamelee on an i3-2100 when it came out.

Check for something hogging resources?

it’s probably like not even using the right GPU (and frankly it would run fine on the Intel GPU so that’s bizarre), something is up with your system, it should run trivially

i read something about one of the latest nvidia drivers causing problems for the 1060 maybe that’s it

FPS is the only number that matters, so in the tru spirit of E-laming:

unfortunately, or rather: as expected, the R9 380 is the bottleneck. Still manages to pull somewhat 40+ish frames when stressed, but thanks to the sub-standard PS4 framerate of PrjCars2, it feels sooooo much BETTER to have constant 40ies.

glad this wikipedia article exists after I thought to check for it today

2 Likes

just a heads up if you lose an hour wondering why your microphone isn’t working in the latest windows 10 build it’s because there’s a new ‘let apps use my microphone’ privacy toggle buried in the god awful settings app that doesn’t just mean uwp apps apparently

lol

Is it actually even possible to update Win 10 N to 1803 yet, last time I tried it just gave up and rolled back at like 16% on restart

My Bluetooth controller was the culprit.

1 Like

Windows has kind of a long, weird history of controllers and joysticks causing game issues. Im sure you had an awful time figuring that out. Computers are DUMB

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12741/nvidia-announces-record-q1-fy-2019-results

nvidia’s margins are now higher than apple’s

today’s dumb project: I bought a hilariously expensive video capture card designed for professional workflows for a pittance

the fact that it’s a professional card for professionals is important, because it doesn’t do certain things or support a lot of, well, not expensive software

Aja has DirectShow filters for this card. that’s good! cheap and free software use DirectShow filters!

the filters they have available aren’t actually completed drivers, but rather starting points for programmers to implement proper support into their programs

that’s bad.

OBS Studio will see the card as a DS source, but won’t actually capture input because the card works in 10-bit and OBS doesn’t like that.

okay

so I grab AmarecTV. Amarec can see the card, but not configure it.

if I set up the card as an input device in OBS and configure it there, Amarec will recognize the settings and then have video and sound

I can then send this back to OBS or just close OBS. BUT if I open Amarec and OBS isn’t running and hasn’t been configured, it will give a “Input Disconnected” screen and alarm.

also the card doesn’t like old consoles because, obviously, double-strike/240p is out of spec w/r/t NTSC

(if you look closely, there’s a Genesis game in the top of the window)

all in all, this was dumb and I am amused greatly

2 Likes

everyone all like “AMD is back in laptops” but the js performance is horrendous b/c, as always, AMD thermal design

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12709/the-acer-swift-3-sf31541-review-ryzen-meets-laptop/3

should I get a multibit dac or a balanced delta-sigma dac