Tom's Hardware of Finland

I can look up the voltage and the timings to the extent that I’ve ever thought about timings before – it’s still the same 1.5v, and it wants 10-10-10-27 at 1600 – but it wants me to set all of the other properties that I’d normally never think about by hand (like tRWP and whatnot) if I’m doing anything manually, and I can only look up values for about half of them

so, oh well, this is what happens when you got your memory and motherboard together for less than $200 and they’re still practically top of the line compared to parts that now cost twice as much several years later. as far as hwinfo can tell me, the XMP profile on these sticks might not actually be … complete? it has nulls for a lot of the more complicated timings that my board seems to want filled in, and I have no desire to experiment with them to that extent

but anyway I confirmed that 1600 is an XMP profile and that my board won’t load it with the newest UEFI that was released in 2013

If it were me, I would just manually change the freq to 1600 and see if it works. If not, then I would change all of he timings I know about (10-10-10-27) and see if it then works. If those are considered tight timings for 1600mhz, then I would relax them further and see if that works.

At this point, I might try a small voltage bump.

Then finally, if I wanted that 1600mhz real bad, I might dig deep to try and find all the timings.

I did none of those things and emailed the manufacturer to ask for a datasheet

2 Likes

just kidding I went and compared the ratios from the lower speeds where the values are actually populated and found out they’re all proportional to clocks so I should be able to infer them

so time to make this dumb thing temporarily not boot again lol

the last time I did this shit was like xrandr c. 1999

1 Like

X RESIZE AND ROTATE

2 Likes

that actually worked

hooray for this linear multiples and this text file in my dropbox that now contains a bunch of integers whose meaning I will never learn

26-209-2T-5-12-7-7-24-8

RC-RFC-CR-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP-FAW-WCL

1 Like

Ok now before and after benchmarks

1 Like

I’m sure it’s negligible lol

I didn’t push you this far, to back down on me now! Bench some games!

I just decoded a 10bit 4k hevc without the GPU to make sure it was stable

it was fine and nice

1 Like

oh

you could have just used Thaiphoon to read the full timings off of the DIMM from the SPD info

1 Like

yeah I had to use aida64 to get the actual populated values because the 1600 ones were nonexistent

this whole suite of Windows tools I’ve never heard of

Huh, AMD presented a powercooler-tagged Vega Nano version after any info on that spin on the VEGA cards has been MIA for about a year now?

In any case (literally? let’s see…), i sometimes get the urge to check whether any VEGA cards are even available nowadays, and then remember that I can wait some more, since a sff would be cool, and forget about it for a while…

What do I want to be looking at if I’m interested in getting 1080p60 video recordings on my computer?

literally any GPU made in the past decade

what are you capturing

whatever you’re doing on the computer? either use the GPU utility functionality (Shadowplay on Nvidia (you have to make an account to use Shadowplay since it’s a part of the Geforce Experience) or ReLive with AMD, and I guess you would have to use something like OBS to utilize QuickSync on Intel’s iGPU) or use OBS, which supports all of the media encoders in GPUs and also plain ol’ software encoding

are you capturing from another computer or console (i.e. are you running a cable)? buy a capture card

have fun looking.

if you’re cheap, you can probably score a used, older card (pro or otherwise) on ebay.

it should also be noted that unless you can turn off HDCP on the device in question, you’ll probably need a cheap, questionable HDMI splitter that just so happens to conviently strip HDCP off of the signal

I need to capture 1080p60 videos for my game. My only PC that can run it like that is an i5-750 w an HD6950 w 8gb ram and a Samsung 850 SATA drive. It captures 1080p30, but can’t hit 60.

I have a clunky way of using my i5-6440hq laptop and an elgato, but I’d like to do it w/o using two computers. I’m bringing PCs to events and having one box that can do everything in one would be nice.

oh hm was the h264 block in the first gen AMD DX11 GPUs not separate enough from the actual shaders enough to do encoding at full bitrate when using the GPU to game at the same time I wonder

a more recent GPU definitely shouldn’t struggle even if it were like half as powerful otherwise

750s should be cheap…

the media encode block in AMD cards is in later GCN cards (1.1 and up I think) and the 6950 is still TeraScale IIRC

anyway, unless your game eats CPU time, get a cheap Ryzen 6-core and record everything in software

or do the sane thing and get a cheap Nvidia card

2 Likes