Tom's Hardware of Finland

it’s an SG05 right?

I have an optical drive + a 2.5" SSD and a 3.5" HD in mine and it’s not so bad, it is indeed miserable to work in but once it’s good it’s good, my CPU is pretty much never audible overclocked with the stock cooler, maybe the stock PSU makes it a lot better idk

five years ago it was like the only well-priced 450w ITX case and it’s held up with ~400w of components in it so I can’t complain

SG13

I already have more parts than the case can physically fit because the GPU is too long but it seems fine otherwise

some googling suggests the only real difference is that I wouldn’t have had to employ the tin snips to fit the Titan X in the SG05

I like how you’re cursing yours and I’m like “mine’s good actually” whereas everyone on the forum says the SG05 is so much more miserable

I do have this tendency to try to have everything both ways by sheer force of will, whereas everyone will be like “don’t you want more overhead to make your life easier” and I’m always like “it should work, it says it works, let’s be efficient, I’ll make it work”

and I always make myself nuts but every time I have the option to try the alternative it’s just boring

anyway swapping in 3x3 wifi was definitely the worst thing I ever did in this case

1 Like

any complaints I have are a result of “I’m trying to fix things up but also everything is already in there”

“also one of the things in there is a PSU with cables fucking everywhere”

A PSU where you can remove unnecessary cabling (or not attach it in the first place) is such a treat in a cramped environment, you probably want this type of PSU.

M2-SSD + 2.5" is the only sensible way to go nowadays, 3.5" takes up way too much space… but if you have legacy drives around, there’s no choice, ymmv but take a look whether you can find some adaptors that save space.

As I catch up on this thread I don’t know if I should feel ashamed or proud of my full ATX case and giant cpu cooler

1 Like

It has a window and I bought extra LEDs for it

5 Likes

definitely proud then

3 Likes

If you get the right cases, you can still use some pretty large coolers. I have a Scythe Mugen 5 Rev.B in my Raijintek Metis itx case.

I think M2 still needs some time to mature. Yeah, if you have the money, it can be faster. But for most people, you’ll get better value from a regular SSD.

Also, M2 drives can get hot and they usually are not placed in great spots for ventilation. Such as, the underside of a motherboard. I’m hoping future drives run cooler, as a rule. Regular SSD don’t really have heat issues.

I thought that for a while too but disk is actually speeding up a lot faster than CPUs nowadays and it doesn’t look like that will stop anytime soon. it does obviously have limits beyond which many people aren’t going to notice for their respective workflows (the fastest disk I have or have used is a BX100 which is still blazing as far as I can tell) but I don’t think it’s actually an unreasonable thing to spend on. like if you look at Macbook PCIe SSD benchmarks from the past few years they are unbelievably good and that makes a massive difference to all parts of your workload, it’s another Apple thing where they’ve improved so orthogonally to the rest of the industry that a lot of x86 PC diehards just don’t notice.

also I know I just talked about how I’m the one who builds sweatboxes but I really think heat is like a solved problem unless you’re using very low-quality components or you utterly fuck up ventilation to the point where, like, the whole machine is shutting down on the regular. I know I got on my high horse about thermal design for GPUs up above but that’s really just about how much power you can get out of a given form factor, not cooling itself, because they’re indefinitely scalable and the cooling is solved one way or another.

you realistically don’t need an NVMe drive if you’re gaming because the time savings over a regular SATA SSD is nigh immeasurable

like, maybe if you’re working with 4k+ video and you need a huge scratch disk. otherwise you can just go SATA or even m.2 keyed for SATA

the most important thing here, however, is that I want to point out the motherboard I’m using in the small 'puter has no m.2 slot

oh yeah for gaming it doesn’t matter, you can game off a hard drive and barely notice

my beloved Z77 ITX mobo has an mSATA (pre-m2) slot and as much as I love the idea of putting more shit in there I think it actually abuts the CPU slot to the point where there are almost no mSATA drives that would actually fit, plus it would be absolute hell to get at, I’d have to take everything out of the machine to reach it

lies and slander!

1 Like

I want an itx motherboard with an m.2 slot, 2 u.2 slots and I can use all 3 at once if I want and the pcie slot to support bifurcation and no soundcard or sata ports wasting space

1 Like

Posting here to remind myself to figure out which one of my RAM sticks is bad and remove it from my desktop so I have a stable machine until I get off my butt and buy new RAM. I hate spending money on computers. At least it’s DDR3.

actually I guess I could get an mSATA 860 Evo, they still make them, and use it for games and just keep videos on the hard drive and keep using my BX100 as a boot drive

the 1TBs are a little too pricey though and I’d fill up the 500 with games too fast as is, I guess I’ll wait

I love how all of my technology plans are increasingly predicated on a 2012 mobo/CPU lasting uhhhhh however long it takes a Titan X to be obsolete, until like 2027 I guess

did you know I still don’t have any USB C gear and consider it a point of pride?

1 Like

No, but I can sure believe it

1 Like