Tom's Hardware of Finland

aw c’mon you don’t need x86 that much

When are they gonna either make a touchscreen Mac or an iPad with a mouse cursor come on

I live in the no man’s land occupied by the surface :frowning:

I don’t think gatekeeper will get any more aggressive than it is currently, it does probably mean there won’t be a binary translation layer for i686 to arm, just x86-64

deffo had a bluetooth mouse working on my jailbroken ipad1

also my main machine is a Surface Pro 1 bye

1 Like

Absolutely.

my kingdom for a stiff keyboard hinge

1 Like

me going into constructing tiny machine: I am a smart person

I installed everything into the case and only after that did I realize, hey, I have to put on and plug in the front panel

also me:

it all worked out… eventually.

no, you’re just seeing things, the front panel side with the GPU totally isn’t bulging out like it’s going to burst forth

4 Likes

that’s nothing, I had to tin snip out part of the aluminum behind the plastic front panel when I put my GPU in there

the front fan cover is actually just wedged against it

i bet the new macbooks are going to cost an arm and a leg
eh, eh

4 Likes

honestly though I really don’t see a problem with macOS-on-ARM the way some people are freaking out, Apple has made way more progress on CPUs than Intel in the past four years to the point where their chips are straight up better at much lower wattages and I’d love to see them make something that isn’t passively cooled, and the binary translation layer should be more than good enough for anything that isn’t actively maintained enough to be recompiled, as long as they don’t aggressively deprecate that emulation after one or two macOS versions the way they did with Rosetta, it should be in there forever.

I guess it sucks if you’re a heavy user of Bootcamp or Parallels but really Wine should fit all of those use cases …

but also seriously please make an Ice Lake MBP first next year so I can sit on that for half a decade and decide what to make of all of this when the dust settles

having used desktop linux for any length of time generally makes a person way less concerned about the idea that all the software they’ll get to run on their new computer without the aid of a compatiblity shim will have to have been successfully recompiled with different gcc flags at some point within the past N months. there’s almost no difference from their already-aggressive deprecation of old XCode build environments, the homebrew team is more than up to it seeing as they’re still supporting PPC, and it’s not like Adobe won’t keep up.

it’s fine. most legacy x86 compatibility use cases basically should be treated equivalently to emulation at this point anyway

and Apple’s position on unsigned code has been for a long time that if you can build it from source yourself you can always run it yourself, which is an a-OK position, I don’t see any reason for them to change it

I have a Raijintek Metis itx case. And for some reason they changed production and added a little metal tab which sticks out, underneath your GPU’s video outputs. Preventing you from plugging into outputs which the tab is right below. Review units and early retail models were not like this.

I had to use a dremel to grind off the tab, so that I could plug into HDMI…

I stopped being lazy and finally installed and got a game running on breadbox with RTSS running

CPU looks like it’s getting a bit toasty on load (~70 C) but it should be fine

GPU sounds like there’s a goddamn blender in the box

time to do the totally not tedious thing of undervolting and testing

I’m definitely getting the impression that compared to most people all the computers I build are like, rat saunas, but 70c for a 2500k is like nothing (don’t forget they run hotter and clock higher than subsequent i5-xxxxK chips despite being otherwise pretty comparable)

I wouldn’t even register a concern below 85c and even then I’d worry more about the northbridge

it’s less concern on my part and more just being used to seeing the 2500k max out at 55-60 on load under my 212 Evo. also I don’t know which Intel cooler I used (I have two, one that came with my Q8300 and one that came with the 2500k itself and all I know is it has a copper center so it’s probably better than whatever trash it looks like they’re shipping out today)

no, the tedium will be mucking with the GPU to make it runner a smidge cooler and quieter, mostly because the default cooling profile on a reference 290 is “run until 95 degrees, then throttle and spin fan up and also the fan is a leafblower”

1 Like

upon closer inspection, on load, the loudest fan in the case is the PSU fan

:waynestare:

Are you channeling air through the PSU (dont think so) or is it runnig hot by itself?

having tested it both ways, the answer is yes

it is loud

1. this case is miserable to work in after you have everything in and I should just buy a modular PSU and a single big drive already

2. working in the case is enjoyable and figuring out how to make things not melt inside is very Zen

after some thought and the opinions of others, I have the PSU only doing cooling for itself, a single 120 mm fan at the front for exhaust and the mass of cables not being used from the PSU cabled tied the fuck up. throwing real, reasonable loads on the system (Nier and Destiny 2; the former is poorly optimized on the GPU side and the latter loads the CPU constantly) show everything being relatively quiet, hot air coming out the front and the PSU isn’t cooking because the CPU’s heat is just either just floating around in the case or being directly funneled into the PSU itself

I’m going to buy a modular PSU (it needs a different PSU anyway because the one in there is 8 years old at this point) and a 2.5" hybrid drive to replace the dumb combo in there right now (a 2.5" 140 GB as a boot and a 3.5" 750 GB as a game drive because holy shit motherfuck that bracket in the front, putting a 3.5" drive on that thing is a fool’s errand)

I enjoy hating computers

1 Like