Tom's Hardware of Finland

@Felix

This shit is your fucking fault

how did you find an LGA1155 ITX mobo for that cheap in 2018

like granted it’s not an incredibly great one (mine originally cost like $100 and it’s now $300 whenever it pops up on ebay) but still

truth be told I’ve been looking on ebay for a board for months at this point and I’ve missed out on some stupid, stupid cheap deals (still kicking myself over that H77 IIRC board that went for 15 bucks) and this is the first one to hit that threshold of price, in America and from a company I vaguely trust (there were some cheap ECS boards, but uh, ECS)

H61 isn’t a dealbreaker, I’m not planning on doing any overclocking, just sticking my sadly unused 2500k in there with the stock Intel cooler for HTPC and light gaming tasks (“light” I say as I plan to stick an R9 290 with it)

I really don’t like this thing where CPUs don’t improve in so long that years-old parts keep going up in price

the likelihood that I’m actually going to be excited rather than forced to replace my Z77 mobo is like <20%

it’s okay, AMD woke up and swerved back on the road

we might get something cool soon. maybe.

I will confess that I actually collect old cheap-but-great small mobos (I have a working Asus P2B + Celeron 300A, and one of the only NForce 2 Socket A mATX motherboards ever made that supported full OC + an Athlon XP 2500M, as far as I know it was only sold in the UK)

this is your chance

ASRock just put out the only mATX X399 board

for when you absolutely need a smaller system with 32 threads

1 Like

they also make the only X299 ITX board afaik

even if I wasn’t mostly interested in high-value-for-money propositions though there’s seriously like no consumer use case for those Xeons, if you can’t get per-thread performance higher for your app you should be running it on a GPU unless you’re just trying to run a bigger postgres in a datacentre

The ECS K7S5A will live on in the hearts/hatred of all the poor computer nerds who lived through the Athlon XP era

CoD WWII has a setting called “filmic temporal AA” and in practice it makes motion look like 24 fps even though your camera moves much faster. It’s weird to look at but neat.

1 Like

i got lucky and had a k7s5a that was really stable and lasted me four years or so

upgraded from a p133 to a 1600 athlon with that board, went from 56k to 512k cable at the same time and i’m pretty sure that’s going to be the single biggest hardware upgrade i’ll ever go through

1 Like

okay, I know have the fun task of picking out a small case that will also take my already there ATX PSU and long-ass R9 290 because fuck you I already have them I’m not spending more money for an SFX PSU

I see that my options are breadbox Silverstone case and console-like Silverstone case and also the latter is a hundred bucks so

yeah one of the nicer things about ITX is you can just buy Zotac and Silverstone everything and not worry

I’m really happy that someone engineered an ATX case under 20 liters that takes every size of component but depressed that it’s 250 dollars

http://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus_x/

How many inches long is a 290?

I really like the MFAA that Nvidia has as a driver setting in Maxwell-and-newer GPUs; unlike all other driver-enforced AA it works great with like zero penalty

Maxwell is such a good architecture, they can coast on shrinks of that for pretty much as long as they did the 8800

Well, the case came this morning, so I decided to do a quick test fit before going to work (the board comes later today):

Nervous%20Mio%20Akiyama%20GIF-source

edit: not really pictured: me holding the front panel against the case so it doesn’t go flying off

3 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-02/apple-is-said-to-plan-move-from-intel-to-own-mac-chips-from-2020

this is fine and I’m excited to see a 20w Apple arm chip but first I would really like to replace my haswell notebook with an Ice Lake mbp and use it for several years so I hope to hell they don’t skip next year’s x86 upgrade

Apple making a clean break from anyone other than iOS developers and college students with rich parents seems like a logical growth, yeah.

Do you think this will mean no unsigned code?