Tom's Hardware of Finland

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12535/power-outage-at-samsungs-fab-destroys-3-percent-of-global-nand-flash-output

I gotta stop reading anandtech

You’d notice anyway if you wanted to buy a SSD?

In any case, 2017/2018 seems to be the worst point in time to build a PC for a long time, heh.

I somehow got a pascal card below msrp last fall and I’m excited to … [checks notes] never upgrade again

1 Like

it’s pretty telling that I bought a used 980ti last fall and even those have gone up in price by ~$150

people are getting desperate and crazy for PC gaming

which honestly is a weird state of affairs

good thing the 2200G is good and oh, right, RAM prices

1 Like

I got a Titan X from Nvidia’s generous support of any paper you publish crediting their GPUs

I have never actually purchased a GPU more powerful than an 8800GT and it’s not clear I will

i’m still completely underusing my gtx1080

i still need to purchase and install an actually up-to-date mobo and chip

for the most part anything from an overclocked 2500K/3570K and up shouldn’t bottleneck any currently released GPU except in very rare circumstances, though north of a 1080 is finally starting to push that

i’m trying to locate a mobo that still takes ram in sets of three

is that insane

i don’t want to ditch my 24gig here

no one does triple channel anymore, it’s either dual or quad now

also a new platform would use DDR4 anyway

also also if you thought GPU prices were crazy…

:frowning:

yeah at best you’d want to update to a newer DDR3 mobo/CPU, except that new-old mobos are always really expensive because they die at an infinitely faster rate than CPUs; if my Z77 ITX mobo dies, it would cost me at least 3x what I paid originally to replace it, and at that point I’d probably ditch the 3570k too if not for that also necessitating new memory…

anyway it turns out that when (desktop) CPUs don’t really improve for most people for most use cases for 7 years and GPUs take over the supercomputing market and memory prices go up because of phones then the PC market is not fun

yeah i think i got lucky buying a gpu in late 06 at a discount when i was still kinda on the fence about building a pc at all

'16 but yeah, that was the best time to get a GPU in a very long time and the situation has gotten much worse since

haha good catch

i definitely didn’t buy a gpu in 06

i had a g5 mac that sounded like a fuckin dyson

5 Likes

I guess this is the most appropriate place for this

I’m impressed the iPhone X can do this well but also shocked it’s not doing better considering the amount of hardware you need to run the game at 720p medium on PC (good guy 2200G does this at nearly 60 fps average)

anyway, I look forward to the iPhone X embarrassing the inevitable Switch version 6 months from now

the Switch GPU edges the iPhone X when docked I think but only then and the CPU isn’t even close

I know this isn’t the point but the iPhone X is a thousand dollars.

1 Like

Fair, but the 8 has the same SoC and is $350 cheaper and still known to be like 40%+ profit

A $700 Switch would probably ship with a cardboard piano though.

7 Likes

If anyone would like to buy an i5-8400 from me send me a PM! I’ll give ya the SB discount.