Tom's Hardware of Finland

according to videocardz. com (first time i’ve ever heard of that site, take that w/ a good grain of salt), there are some MIA ryzen-lofi variants listed at mobo vendor lists: the 2200GE and 2400GE, which promise a more reasonable TDP of 35W, coming with reduced oomph then. That’d be 40-45W in real world use case, i assume, and that’d be right back in the passively cooled ballpark… a man can still dream, yeah… (or he could be sensible and just buy an intel cpu and be done with it… that’d be too easy though, naaaah)

1 Like

i mean, i got the 1800X right before xmas for 360 bucks, and cannot even get a mediocre gpu for less than that. VEGA was supposed to have a usp of what, 600?ish, while custom designs have a not so inconsiderable markup of almost 50% more, so bets indeed are good that whatever CPU you buy, the gpu will be installed later, and still be way more expensive than your CPU can ever be.

if you are stupid enough to buy AMD, yeah, i know…

Someone stop me

I’m looking at these APUs and I’m getting some strong buildlust

I don’t even need an APU, I have GPUs just sitting around

But, the possibilities

1 Like

well, if you are as paranoid as i am, you absolutely need an open source NAS completely under your control, right?..

no, you are wrong, you cannot just buy the finished thing on the web and just use it, that’s a lie and it’s too easy, so it cannot be true, and those parts are already in the shopping cart, seeee, cannot do anything about it anymore…

… well, as long as linux driver support is shitty, this cart won’t go anywhere near a checkout…

I spent 3 hours swapping GPUs in and out of my case and taking them apart to diagnose one card not having it’s fans spin up on load

happy Valentine’s Day computer

2 Likes

Yeah I hate computers

I’m impatient for libretro to get all of their cores building on arm64 because on paper my phone should be able to run Dolphin trivially

1 Like

So.

I’ve been asked an easy question today, or so i thought…

VR on PC.
what does one need for that, and what should you have to make it worthwhile?

… and after i thought a bit about it, i had to admit that i have no idea, actually.
A good gpu (define good!.. Uh, some nvidia 1060 GTX is what i was guessing wildly), maybe those steam controllers i could not remember the name of and… and Rez Infinite, yeah. But is that on PC?..

So tl;dr, i had to admit i had no idea, and now i think i should at least have read a bit about this instead of believing “PSVR will get cheap enough one day!”

1060 is correct (that’s what I’d suggest as a minimum anyway), plus one of the Windows MR headsets (if you have a relatively high degree of patience for using ecosystem shims to get Vive/Rift support), plus Superhot, is probably the most effective way to buy in right now.

1 Like

Luckily, i could save my nerd cred by proving that i’ve been looking into more pressing issues, e.g. this:

Now i know why my PS4 always went into harrier mode by default, hmmhmmm.

Unfortunately, it is not so easy to drop in some new fans and keep the original case, so for now i cleaned the fan, reassembled everything and, aside from replacing all (torx speciale) screws, managed to refire it last weekend.
It doesn’t go into harrier mode right away now (yes!), but the case gets a bit warmer now, since the heat spreader seems to do what its supposed to do, heh.

Pixx of battlefield:

And the wallowing green that makes worlds go round…

4 Likes

actually, I remember that you gave some thumbs up foe the windows MR set at the end of last year, and iirc especially the Asus one, right?

Maybe i should drop down the cash and get that headset myself to start using it for Project Cars 2, hell yeah! find out that my trusty R9? 380 OC Strix isn’t up to the job…

I liked the Lenovo one because of the original batch it was one of the cheapest and had one of the best FOVs (and was very comfortable in my experience though I haven’t tried the others). There have been price cuts since though.

OK, 405 bucks for the Lenovo MR set, that’s… not as expensive as i expected, since the Vive was(?) way more expensive.

Now i need to find a reason why i should not spend so much cash for a thing i would only use for racing games…

Sounds like they are in fact going to be doing this

So if you got a Pascal card near original MSRP, congrats! That turned out to have been a short lived experience in giving consumer GPUs professional compute power without charging a premium.

Do the GPU coin miners prefer one or the other (FP64 or not)?

Most GPU compute heavily favours fp64 but I don’t actually know anything about mining, I just assumed…

NVidia publicly stated they expect prices to stay up and even continue to rise, through Q3.

Nvidia has technically already pulled this, the first set of Fermi cards are better at CUDA stuff than 2nd gen Fermi and maybe Kepler at certain tasks

yeah, and that would’ve been the case with maxwell too if maxwell wasn’t so damn good

I’m going to GDC and I’m wondering if I should get a laptop w/ a dGPU to demo The Moon Fields. I know that it runs at 1080p60 with an HD6950, but I don’t know how it compares to a budget laptop dGPU like the MX150?